25 August 2014

What eBay Hath Wrought 104: '98-'99 Stadium Club Triumvirate Hakeem Olajuwon


I just have a quick post this time about a card I grabbed off of eBay for a couple of dollars, a '98-'99 Stadium Club Triumvirate card of Hakeem Olajuwon. I like these crazy designs from the 90's, as 1) they are pretty awesome, and 2) they take me back to the heyday of my basketball card collecting. This card is definitely more sizzle than steak, as it is die-cut along the left edge, and also has lines and dots cut out of it in the body of the card. The player photo is silhouetted on the back, and it looks like this card makes up the third in a trio that also included Shaquille O'Neal and David Robinson. When all three cards are assembled, the die-cut edges interlock to form a single puzzle card.

Someone on the blogosphere posted a timeline of the Triumvirate designs in baseball recently, but I can't remember who. I saw one that looked similar to this design, so it appears there was some design continuity between the baseball and basketball designs.

The scan I've got of this card is a bit fuzzy, but I am not going to redo it. I have four or five scans that were low-quality before I got everything set up between my computer and scanner. There will be a few posts over the next couple of weeks with bad scans, but maybe I will be the only one who notices or cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment