07 September 2015

Another Princess Leia Sketch Card


I picked up another sketch card for my Princess Leia collection. I think this is my 6th Leia sketch card. This one comes from the 2015 Topps Star Wars Chrome Perspectives: Jedi vs. Sith and was drawn by Charles Dowd. It looks like he is more active on Facebook than on his website, which seems to be a pretty typical thing for artists these days. He is an independent comic book creator whose focus seems to be on making comics that are accessible and appropriate for kids to read.

This sketch is relatively simple, but it has a distinctive style that matches Dowd's other work. He's drawn a younger Leia, which is in line with the protagonists in his comic books, who were created to give his daughter inspiration and provide her with some literature that features a female lead in her age group. There is no end of comic books with boys as lead characters, but it's a little harder to find a girl in a leading role.


He's got a Kickstarter going right now for a book he's put together showing women in all kinds of career paths to encourage girls to expand beyond traditionally 'female' jobs. I don't have any daughters, but I do have a handful of sons and I've tried to talk to them about women in terms of more than just their physical attributes, emphasizing that their mother (my wife) has many talents and skills, such as being far better at math than I am.


1 comment:

  1. Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I ordered two books... one for my niece and the other for my classroom library.

    ReplyDelete