04 April 2016

No Baseball on Opening Day: Neil Magny 2015 Topps UFC Chronicles Parallels

It's Opening Day Part 2 for baseball, but I don't really have any baseball cards scanned and loaded into Blogger, so I am rolling with what I've got. The Astros' game today got postponed anyway, so Opening Day was kind of a dud for my team.

One interesting thing from the world of baseball cards is Topps' new Now product. Supposedly each day they will post a couple of standard-sized baseball cards on their site, offer them for about 24 hours, and then cut off sales and announce the print run. Once the previous day's cards go away, another batch of cards comes up for sale. They come with free shipping, but the two they listed today had a $9.99 price tag. It'll be interesting to see what the print runs are on these (edit: 356 for the Kansas City Royals card and 266 for the Francisco Liriano card). I imagine there will be a collector or two out there with deep pockets who tries to get whatever is released each day, while others might collect their favorite players or teams, and others will probably ignore the program altogether. I think it's interesting, but I will probably wait to see if one of my favorite players pops up before giving it a try.


I picked up a couple of Neil Magny parallels from 2015 Topps UFC Chronicles for my PC. This first one is a Green parallel which is numbered # 156 / 288. Magny had one heck of a fight recently against Hector Lombard. He got absolutely rocked early in the first round and I thought the ref was going to stop the fight, but Magny was able to do just enough to show that he was defending himself and hold out for round two. In the second round Magny got Lombard on the ground and just punched the heck out of Lombard for what seemed like forever. Everyone seemed a little surprised when the ref didn't stop the fight, but when round three started Magny took Lombard back to the ground and started beating on him again and this time the ref decided enough was enough. It almost seemed like the ref felt bad for not stopping the fight in the first, so he was giving Lombard a chance at recovery like the chance he gave to Magny.


The other card I got from the set is this Gold parallel, numbered # 62 / 88. There's not much else to say about these cards. There are some parallels I haven't picked up yet, but maybe eventually they'll surface and I'll get a shot at them. I wonder how much of each UFC set's print run gets opened up, or how long it takes for a significant portion of the print run to be opened?

No comments:

Post a Comment