09 May 2016

Pack of the Day 132: Jersey Cards

I spent most of April and part of May in New Jersey doing some training for my job, along with the occasional foray into Philadelphia for sight-seeing. While in New Jersey I found myself in a Target and had to take a look at their card selection. The only thing that really appealed to me was a pack of 2016 Topps Heritage. This was my only physical card purchase while I was there. I did manage a handful of eBay purchases during my month away from home, but the internet connection was so bad that even that slowed way down. Let's see which 9 cards I came away with.


First up is Collin McHugh. He had very good years in 2014 and 2015, but so far his 2016 has been pretty bad. His Baseball Reference page says that he currently leads the league in hits allowed, and he's got the ugly ERA and WHIP to back that up. He still has a winning record at 4-3, though, but he is struggling along with most of the rest of the Astros in the early part of the season.


There's not much to say about most of these cards. I like Heritage as a product, but it's not a lot of fun to blog about. I will say, though, that I don't really like sets with facsimile signatures on the front. I think they just clutter up the picture without really adding anything. Adam Jones has been a mainstay on the last few years of my disappointing fantasy baseball rosters. I didn't draft him at all this year, but I drafted plenty of other under-achievers to take his place. I will be lucky if I finish in the top half of either of my leagues this year. I intended to play in at least one more league, but the start of the new season kind of snuck up on me and I never got that going.


That Mike Trout card is a short print. That's pretty good, probably better than an insert. I still haven't purchased this year's set, and I am not 100% sure when I'll be able to do that. Maybe I'll have to get a base set and fill in the short-prints later. Andrew Cashner's beard makes for a pretty good portrait-style card.

This wasn't the most exciting card purchase in the world, but these are the only cards I bought while I was gone and I figured that deserved a post. I haven't felt a lot of motivation to blog since I got back home, but maybe I'll get some scans processed and get back into the groove of things. It's always a little weird getting back into home life after an extended absence.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I hope I didn't ruin the day of too many readers with my false advertising.

      Delete