23 May 2016

Power Girl Sketch by Elfie Lebouleux

I wouldn't say I've been all the way down on baseball lately, but I have slowed down on picking up baseball cards and even a lot of the stuff I have picked up is cards that don't lend themselves to blog posts. I've got a lot of UFC stuff recently, but there's only so much of that I can post without burning out myself and my readers. My eBay Watch List is a pretty good indicator of what's been catching my interest lately, and it's probably 75% sketch cards and wrestling / UFC stuff, while baseball and NASCAR make up most of the rest. The problem with sketch cards is that they are not cheap, so they usually just cycle through my Watch List until someone buys them or the seller gets tired of listing them. But I keep adding to my list, because every so often I am able to pick one up and even if I can't it helps me keep track of artists whose work I want to add into my collection.


I'd been wanting some art by artist Elfie Lebouleux for a while, but it took time to find the right piece at the right price. I eventually was able to win this Power Girl PSC (Personal Sketch Card) from her personal eBay page. It's a nice sketch and makes for a welcome addition to my Power Girl sketch collection. In the past I have almost exclusively chased licensed sketch cards from the sets put out by various non-sports producers, but I think that kind of limits my access to perfectly good pieces of art. I still chase licensed cards when I can get them, but if the right sketch comes along on plain stock or the artist's personal sketch card stock I will chase it down. The only reason to exclusively licensed sketches is the perception that they are more valuable, but in all honesty my collection will never be worth more to someone else. I can't imagine a situation in which I would try to sell most of my sketches while I'm still alive, so why not chase art I like whether it's on official card stock or not? Anyway, that's my thought for the day.

8 comments:

  1. It's just like what they always say in the antiques business, "buy what you like". If you don't ever have any intentions of selling, why would you limit yourself to just licensed products. Art is art, whether it's 'official' or not.

    As for the card itself, I don't really have anything interesting to say, other than it is quite an attractive sketch card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In spite of that sound reasoning, it can still be hard sometimes to get over the 'licensed is better' mindset. In sports cards licensing matters more because unlicensed cards have to be altered to remove logos (unless you're Upper Deck), but this sketch doesn't lose any quality from being fan art instead of a Cryptozoic product. If it had been on Crypotzoic stock I probably couldn't afford to add it to my collection.

      Delete
  2. Lol. I know it's a sketch card... and she's a comic book character... but Power Girl is kinda hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're on to something there. There are quite a few cosplay models who do the character justice. Vegas PG, BelleChere, and Manda Cowled are three that come to mind. They've all got their own takes on the character. As far as artists, I think that Amanda Conner draws my favorite Power Girl.

      Delete
  3. Nice! Loves me some Elfie art. She seems like a pretty cool cat on teh Facebooks too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Thank you! Yeah I am just googling myself ahah it's elfie btw ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped by! I really enjoy your art!

      Delete