31 May 2016

Power Girl Sketch Card by Joe Simko

I've got a long list of artists whose work I am seeking for my collection, and it feels good when I knock another one off my list, especially if I can also add to one of my sketch card PCs. That was the case with this Power Girl sketch card by artist Joe Simko. Simko is known for his work on Garbage Pail Kids and Wacky Packages sticker cards, as well as art for bands and his own parody sticker card series Cereal Killers. Although I grew up in the right era for it, Garbage Pail Kids and Wacky Packages never really popped up on my list of interests. I was aware of them and had a few friends and cousins who were into them, but for whatever reason they never appealed to me. But I do like to think that I appreciate a skilled artist, and Joe Simko definitely falls into that category.


I was pretty happy when this card popped up in an eBay search and then stayed in my Watch List long enough for me to buy it. The seller even accepted my Best Offer on the card, so I got a bit of a discount. My original offer was a little low and got rejected, but my second offer was more realistic and got me the card. Then I had to wait F-O-R-E-V-E-R for it to get here from Australia. It seems like cards from Australia either get on a fast boat (plane, more likely) or a slow boat, because they will arrive in a couple days or they will take a couple of weeks. There doesn't seem to be a lot of in-between. I am glad that it arrived safely, and I think it's a great depiction of Power Girl. This sketch came from Cyptozoic's DC Superman: The Legend set that is a few years old now. A Power Girl sketch card from this same product done by Ashleigh Popplewell was one of the first sketches I pulled when I got back into collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment