09 June 2016

Topps High Tek Auto Beru Whitesun

I somehow managed to string together four baseball posts, so it's time to break the streak and post something else. This is a card I picked up from a seller on the Blowout Cards forums. He had discounts on his non-sports sales thread for the Memorial Day weekend, and I picked through it looking for something interesting.


He had a couple of sketch cards I was interested in, but they were still a little out of my price range and I eventually settled on this Gold Rainbow autograph of Bonnie Piesse as Beru Whitesun. This card doesn't scan all that well, but it looks pretty good in person. All those dots that look like scanner scuzz are actually stars on the nameplate. This card is numbered # 08 / 50.

Piesse has a few other film roles as well as some singing / songwriting credits. I went to her official website which was a mistake, as I discovered that she is a member of the anti-vaccination movement. I try not to get into political / social issues too much on the internet, but I feel like the science on vaccinations is pretty clear and overwhelmingly in favor of vaccinating nearly everyone. I have some family members who go the other way on the issue, but so far they haven't been able to link me to any sort of legitimate research supporting their viewpoint. Celebrity endorsements, fear-mongering, and websites that only cite themselves don't count as proof in my book. Anyway, I wish I hadn't looked at Piesse's website. Now I can't help thinking she looks awfully smug in that picture. I'll get off my soapbox for now. You came here to look at cards, not to be assaulted by my views on celebrities and their agendas.

8 comments:

  1. That's always so unfortunate when an actor or actress has some super backwards views. Cool card otherwise though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has an idea or two that is whacky-doodle, but people tend to give celebrities more pull than they deserve just based on the fact that they are famous. I just wish people would fact-check more and put the things they read or hear to the test. Don't trust someone's viewpoint just because they are famous. Things aren't true just because they're read on a news site or attached to a catchy meme.

      Delete
  2. Yeaaaaaaaaaa...... maybe she shouldn't have been trusted with baby Luke then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe his high midi-chlorian count kept him from falling victim to a preventable illness in his youth.

      Delete
  3. I think we all have blind spots in our belief systems, but many of those blind spots can be mitigated by thinking for ourselves and looking critically at the available information.

    Climate change is a massive topic. I think we all live on a planet with limited resources and should feel obligated to contribute to maintaining those resources. I worry that far too many 'green' initiatives are more about making money or showing off than about actually doing something positive for the earth. To me the vaccination issue is pretty one-sided, but available climate change information can be argued and spun many different ways. There is at least room for intelligent debate about the severity and direction of changes as well as methods and priorities for resource management.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The SW Tek autographs are probably my favorite non-sport set in years. I've slowly been knocking off all of my favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Tek autographs, too. I do wonder how they will hold up over time. It seems like they could blur and fade pretty easily.

      Delete