05 November 2016

Pack of the Day 146: Topps Star Wars Rogue One: Mission Briefing


I picked up a retail pack of Topps Star Wars Rogue One: Mission Briefing cards a couple of weeks ago while I was at the store for something. I think maybe we were picking up a Christmas present for one of our kids.


Here are the pack odds and the No Purchase Necessary information. Nothing too crazy here, I guess.


I think the base cards are modeled after some vintage Star Wars set, I guess a 1983 Return of the Jedi set. It's not a design I'm familiar with, and I think they are kind of ugly.


The backs have a lot of text and an illustration of the Death Star. It might be kind of nice to collect the set, just for all the information on the back. I like the profile on Davish "Pops" Krail, a character I didn't know much about.


I don't know what that Jyn Erso card is. It's some kind of parallel, but it's not listed on the pack. Maybe a retail-only card or something? I think the two cards on the bottom are also some kind of parallel that is also not listed clearly in the pack odds. Cardboard Connection lists a common Green parallel and a common Death Star Black parallel, so I'm guessing that's what these are. The Docking Bay 327 card is part of the Death Star insert, which details key locations in the Death Star. I like this insert set.


The backs of those three parallel cards are puzzle pieces. The back of the Death Star insert has information about the location.


These last two inserts are a Comic Strips insert featuring a droid named K-250 and a Heroes of the Rebel Alliance insert of R2-D2. I don't care about the Comic Strips insert, but I like the Heroes of the Rebel Alliance cards.

This pack was honestly kind of underwhelming to me for the price. I guess it would be nice to see more original designs versus rehashed vintage sets. I guess Topps started this wagon rolling with The Force Awakens, so they have to roll with the vintage theme through the rest of the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment