04 January 2017

Click Here to View Cart 19: Topps Throwback Thursday Presidential World Series First Pitches

My commute home last night took forever, and it snowed most of the night and into the morning. I already knew I was going to go in late to work, but I went outside and saw cars stuck on my street and decided to just call in for today. Later, my wife actually tried to get out and couldn't make it to the road. I'm not sure how tomorrow is going to go, but I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow. Pretty much every school district in the area cancelled classes today as well, so my kids are home, too. So far they haven't been too annoying, but the youngest is pushing it.

It isn't really my intent to turn this into a wrestling/MMA card blog, but that's what I've been collecting lately. I've got plenty more of those posts to get to, but I thought I'd try to get some baseball cards on here today. Not just baseball cards, but PRESIDENTIAL baseball cards.


I think it's been a while since Topps did a Throwback Thursday set, but every so often they put out a set (on Thursday, naturally) featuring new cards on an old Topps design. They leave orders open for a week, and then print however many sets get ordered. I previously ordered the Star Wars set, but for the most part I don't pay much attention to these.

This set caught my eye, though, as Presidents on cards is a pretty popular theme. The set features U.S. Presidents who threw out first pitches in the World Series. They are printed on the 1990 Topps USA card design, a nod to the famous cards that were made for and presented to President George H.W. Bush. I mostly just wanted this set for the George W. Bush card pictured above, but there were five other cards in the set.


Since they are all Presidents, these are all some pretty famous names. I thought this was a pretty cool idea for a Throwback Thursday set, and the theme is executed well. Although the photos come from several different eras, Topps made them all fit together in one set together, and in the same style as the original Bush card these are modeled after. This set had a print run of 306 packs, which seems a bit below average for the Throwback Thursday sets. I guess you either like Presidents on baseball cards or you don't. I know of at least a couple bloggers out there who have announced that they collect Presidents on cards; hopefully they were able to grab some of these while they were available.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I didn't even know that Topps did these. I've have to track it more often. Those Star Wars cards are pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the sets are your standard baseball player cards, but every so often they sneak in something a little more interesting (to me).

      Delete
  2. Great set. Shame there's not a Reagan on the checklist. I'd be all over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently there have only been seven Presidential first pitches in World Series games. It looks like Jimmy Carter is the odd man out in this set. Interestingly enough, Nancy Reagan has a World Series first pitch as a First Lady.

      Delete
  3. Those are some sweet cards. I didn't realize they did those but I have been out of the trading card game for a little bit. Well no snow today. Just cold as hell. And it looks we have more snow heading our way. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the snow (and freezing rain) has been playing catch-up the last couple of days. I had an interesting drive home from work this evening.

      Delete