14 June 2017

A Sterling Singleton

I've got another short post tonight, as my wife has been out of town and I've been busy trying to keep things running here at home. I go to work pretty early in the morning, so the kids had to get up with me to get ready to go to the babysitter's, and by the time we got home each evening we were all wiped out. Yesterday we all crashed for a couple of hours after we got home. By the time I got dinner and laundry and bedtime done, there wasn't much time for anything else. I know some people manage to do the single parent thing for many years, but it's not the life for me.


This card is a 2014 Bowman Sterling Japan-Fractor, a parallel that was packed only in boxes of Bowman Sterling destined for Japan. The player is Jon Singleton, the one-time hot prospect who never really took off during his 2014 and 2015 stints with the Astros. He's spent this season down at AA, and probably doesn't have much future with the team. His batting average is low, but he gets on base at a pretty good clip due to a favorable walk rate. Maybe another team will be willing to give him a whirl, but it is probably more likely that he spends a few years in the minors and then washes out of the system. The 2014 Bowman Sterling set has a bit of a 1995 Fleer vibe to it, if the colors in 1995 were toned down a bit. This card is numbered # 06 / 25.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome....I didn't know they had Japan-destined parallel cards. Is that pretty common?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's all that common, but there are a few Topps products with Asian-market exclusives. I think Topps Supreme had them, a Bowman product or two, I read that High Tek had special Gold parallels, and probably others that I'm not aware of. I think Zippy Zappy has posted about some of the Bowman exclusives.

      Delete
  2. Is it me or is the technology used for these Japanfractors the same used for the 2017 '87 silver pack parallels? They look very similar. Before the Pirates converted Josh Bell to 1B I wanted Singleton in the worse way to be traded to the Bucs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like the same pattern they used for those cards. I don't know where Singleton will wind up. Bell has been decent this year, although he's got room to improve. I have him coming off the bench for one of my fantasy teams.

      Delete