03 June 2017

Some Old Pick-Ups that are Surprisingly Relevant Today - UFC 212

I am compounding a bad decision by writing this post after I stayed up too late to watch UFC 212. I have to work in the morning, and I should not still be up. I just couldn't bring myself to miss out on Claudia Gadelha vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz and Jose Aldo vs. Max Holloway. Those fights didn't disappoint, and neither did the ones earlier on the card. I was pulling for both winners of the two biggest fights on the card, although I missed on a lot of my earlier picks in the UFC Pick'em game.


I picked up these cards months ago, but most of them feature guys who were on tonight's fight card. I must have picked them up in late January, when Nate Marquardt last fought on the Valentina Shevchenko vs. Julianna Peña card. Marquardt lost his fight tonight via a decision that went to Vitor Belfort. I didn't see much of that fight, but the reaction on Twitter told me that there may have been some homer judges in Brazil voting with their hearts instead of their eyes. I guess that's why you don't let the decision go to the scorecards. This autograph comes from 2010 Topps UFC.


This relic card comes from the same set, and features a bit of the mat from UFN 8 in January 2007, where Marquardt defeated Dean Lewis by a unanimous decision. Judging by the scores (30–27, 30–25, 30–25), it was a pretty convincing victory.


Raphael Assuncao won his fight tonight, a decision victory over Marlon Moraes. Cardboard Connection says that this is a Blue parallel out of 2014 Topps UFC Champions, but it sure looks Purple to me. It's numbered # 56 / 88.


Andrei Arlovski didn't fight tonight, but he is scheduled to fight in a couple of weeks at UFC Fight Night 111. He's lost four fights in a row after a six-fight win streak (4 of those were in the UFC), so he really needs to put a victory up against Marcin Tybura to remain as a contender. This is a Gold parallel from 2016 Topps UFC Knockout. I think this one is numbered # 80 / 99.

No comments:

Post a Comment