11 July 2017

Manute Bol Gala Relic

Although much of the hype in the card collecting world currently revolves around the All-Star Game and Aaron Judge's Home Run Derby exploits, today I am posting about a basketball card. I even have some Aaron Judge cards to post about, but they aren't scanned yet and there's like a 0% chance that they will get scanned this week.


I think I picked up this Manute Bol Main Attraction Memorabilia relic card from 2015-16 Panini Gala on eBay a while back. Bol's cards still command decent prices, especially low-numbered parallels, relics, and autographs. This one is numbered # 33 / 60, and I picked it up for just a few dollars. I don't add to my collection of Bol cards very often, and I am always happy when I get one. That 76ers uniform he's wearing on this card is pretty sweet, too.

My favorite NBA team, the Houston Rockets, recently completed a trade for point guard Chris Paul and also signed James Harden to a massive contract extension, basically betting on him as the guy to lead them to glory over the next few years. I don't know about that. I think they will continue to be a pretty good team and make regular playoff appearances, but those two guys plus whoever else they are able to add to the roster aren't going to beat the Warriors in a 7-game series.

6 comments:

  1. If I ever start collecting basketball cards again... I'd probably start with a Bol PC. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a fun guy to collect. His height and his humanitarian side made him stand out more than other players with fair-to-middling stat lines.

      Delete
  2. I miss the era of the giant centers like Bol and Bradley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked the really tall players. Today's game is probably too fast-paced, but in the 90's they had a good-sized portion of the NBA spotlight.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I miss the era of centers being centerpieces. Lots of 3-point shooting going on these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Centers need to be more mobile and stronger today than the beanpoles of yesteryear, and ideally also bigger contributors on the offensive end. It's a different game now.

      Delete