13 July 2017

The Card So Nice I Bought It Twice

Today's card has a story that dates back to November of last year. To recap, in November 2016 I purchased this 2014 Topps Supreme autograph of Jon Singleton on eBay. It is the Red parallel, numbered # 03 / 10. It took me about a month to get to scanning the card and processing it for a blog post. I was surprised to see that my scan was for an Orange parallel, numbered # 02 / 15. So I went back and looked at the card, searched my collection a bit, and eventually determined that the seller had sent the wrong card and I hadn't noticed when I opened the package and added it to the stack of cards to scan. I needed the Orange parallel anyway, so I didn't make a stink about it and kept the card.


A while later, I was browsing cards on COMC and I saw something familiar in the Jon Singleton listings. It was the Orange parallel, numbered # 03 / 10! The seller's COMC name matched the eBay handle from the original purchase. I sent the seller an offer for the amount I had won the original auction for, which he rejected. I then sent a message explaining what had happened and asked if he would be willing to cut me a deal. He relented and accepted my offer. Hooray! The card arrived with my next COMC shipment, and I finally have the card so nice I bought it twice nestled safely in my Jon Singleton player collection.

My wife's computer has been driving her crazy lately, as it was kind of a cheap stopgap machine to get her by for a while after her old laptop gave up the ghost. She ordered a new laptop early this week, which ought to be a nice upgrade for her. I was pretty jealous, as my laptop is three years old now, and the new models we looked at were shiny and fast. The problem was that my laptop was still in pretty good shape, so I couldn't justify the cost of a new machine. I settled for an upgrade from 8 to 16 GB of RAM, which seems to make a difference in my computer speed when I have a million internet browser tabs open at the same time. I also used my Ebates account to order her computer, because Ebates was offering 10% cash back on the Dell website. I have to wait until November to get the cash back payment, but at that time I'll have about $100 sent to my Paypal account that I can spend on cards or sketches.

6 comments:

  1. I liked the Topps Supreme brand... they seem to be well done cards. But alas, it's another product priced out of my comfort zone for cardboard. Nice addition on the Singleton(s)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably not a product I would bust boxes of, but I don't mind picking up singles on the secondary market. The sticker-graphs could be integrated into the design better, but that's true of many products.

      Delete
  2. That was nice that the seller worked the deal for you I need he end, it really is a great looking card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's nice that it worked out in the end, without too much drama.

      Delete
  3. Glad the vendor worked with you on the deal. I'm debating on getting a new laptop myself... but will probably hold off for one more year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to get a new laptop, but I just can't justify it right now. My current machine was pretty high-end three years ago when I bought it, and it still does everything I need it to and more. I can't justify the expense for what would be an upgrade for vanity's sake at this point. I'll hold off for at least a year.

      Delete