17 December 2017

Cyber Week Breaks: Day 10 - Red Racing Cards and Some Punchy Folks

Today's breaks are pretty good. I'm starting things off with a 2 packs of 2016 Panini Certified Racing and 8 packs of 2017 Topps UFC Chrome. Also, I'm excited about the boxes of 2017 Topps UFC Knockout I got in the mail yesterday, so I'm opening one more pack of that product. Tomorrow I might take a breather and post about something other than my Cyber Week Breaks. We'll see.


Here are the hits from my 2 Panini Certified Racing packs. On the left is a Mirror Red Certified Signatures autograph of Justin Allgaier. This one is numbered # 43 / 75. He spent 2014 and 2015 at the highest NASCAR level, then dropped back to the Xfinity Series for 2016 and 2017, finishing 3rd in the standings both years. As with the quad autograph card I showed off a few days ago, the certification hologram isn't as obtrusive in-hand.

The other hit in these packs was a Complete Materials Mirror Red parallel of Ryan Blaney, numbered # 22 / 75. It's got four swatches of material, including red and white firesuit pieces, a gold chunk of sheet metal, and a bit of tire. Blaney is doing pretty well for himself in NASCAR's top circuit, finishing 9th in the standings this season with one win.

Neither of these hits really matches up with my personal collections, but they are still pretty decent pulls. Both are names that I recognize, which is a step up from many of my racing breaks.


Here are the biggest cards out of the 8 packs of 2017 Topps UFC Chrome I opened today. The Arianny Celeste Topps Fire insert is the Refractor version, numbered # 48 / 99. The Luke Rockhold Blue Wave Refractor is a one-per-box insert, numbered # 59 / 75. The autograph is a base auto of Mickey Gall. He had a couple of big fights in 2016 and 2017 that rocketed him into popularity, a win against WWE wrestler CM Punk and a defeat of the a fighter the UFC was pushing pretty hard, Sage Northcutt. He lost a decision last month to Randy Brown, so he's still got some work to do before he's a real contender.

That closes out the second of four UFC Chrome boxes from this order. So far I am still pretty happy with the product. It seems like there are enough Refractors, inserts, and autographs to make it a fun break. People complained that the autograph checklist is relatively weak, but I haven't felt ripped off by this product yet.


I got two numbered parallels in the second pack of 2017 Topps UFC Knockout. Again, I pulled a Green and a Blue. The Green Aldo is numbered # 055 / 215, while the Blue Werdum is # 13 / 99. Neither really moves the needle for me, but they're all right.


As far as hits go, I pulled a Knockout Autographed Relic of Jim Miller, a fighter I collect. This is the base version, numbered # 056 / 149. I've already got a copy of this card, but now I have another. I also got a Knockout Relic card of Joanna Jedrzejczyk. It's a Red parallel, though, so it's numbered # 01 / 10. The Red parallels only show up about once in thirteen boxes, so this is a pretty good card. It probably would have been even better if she still had the championship belt, but some other # / 10 relics of hers have still sold north of $30 recently, so I still 'made' money on this pack.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. There will be more Arianny Celeste cards appearing over the next few days.

      Delete
  2. I second what Fuji said!
    The metallic gold sheet metal on the Blaney card must be from the number. Nice pull!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a pretty nice-looking card! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Cool! What is the yellow sticker on top of Allgaier’s auto?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the drivers have authentication holograms that they put over their autographs. You see them a lot on signatures from JR Motorsports drivers.

      Delete