28 December 2017

Cyber Week Breaks: Day 19 - R2-D2, Chrome Rondas, and Bowman's Best

For today's breaks, I opened the last 8 packs of Topps Star Wars: Jedi Legacy and 8 packs of 2017 Topps UFC Chrome. I also decided to post the results of a group break I was part of for some 2017 Bowman's Best. That will be down at the bottom.


The Jedi Legacy packs contained the second and last hit of the box, and it was a pretty good one. These Jabba the Hutt's Sail Barge relics only fall about 1:14 boxes, so they are some of the hardest hits in the product, surpassed only by relic cards containing fur from Chewbacca's costume. In 2015 I was able to land the Leia version of the sail barge relic, which was one of my grail cards. I am pretty happy with this as the second hit of the box. 


The UFC Chrome packs were pretty good this time around. I got a couple of Ronda Rousey cards, a Fire insert and a Green Refractor parallel. The Green Refractor is # 45 / 99. I pulled two other numbered cards out of these packs. One is the Pulsar Refractor parallel version of Georges St-Pierre's Fire insert card. That one is numbered # 10 / 50. The other is the first autograph out of this box, a Green Refractor autograph of Robbie Lawler. It is numbered # 87 / 99. Those are both pretty good cards. I think the Lawler card is the first sticker autograph I have out of Chrome. It's cool that he signed it with his nickname, Ruthless.


I got into a case break of 2017 Bowman's Best. I don't know if it was the smartest thing to do, but I did it. I wound up with the Mets and the Royals. I actually bid on the Royals spot before I looked at the checklist, and that made me panic a bit. They don't have much in the set at all. Here are some of the base cards and Refractors I got.


I also got a couple of Mets inserts. The Dean's List inserts give grades to each prospect, according to Baseball America. The Best Cuts insert rehashes a design from 1997, and the back lists a few of the player's awards or highlights.


The topsy-turvy Mirror Image inserts show two players who have similarities to each other, and are also a little headache-inducing to look at.


You may have noticed that all the cards shown so far feature Mets. The Royals really don't have much on this checklist, but the one Royals card I did pull in the break was the best one I got. This is a Best of 2017 Autographs Red Refractor parallel of Jorge Bonifacio. It's numbered # 09 / 10 and features an on-card autograph. Pretty cool stuff.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the design of Bowman's Best... Best and Bowman Platinum are probably my favorite two designs of 2017. I'm a sucker for swirling colors and shiny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like colorful trading cards, too. I like them better than all the generic high-end brands with their white or off-white backgrounds and foil accenting. Give me shiny and colorful.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I was pretty pleased to pull it from this box.

      Delete