20 February 2018

N20 Allen & Ginter Prize & Game Chickens 28: White Cochin Cock

It's been a little while since I posted a chicken card, and I've got a couple in the queue, so here we go! I've been working on a vintage set of Allen & Ginter cards, the N20 Fifty Prize & Game Chickens set from 1891. I am approaching the 3/5 mark on the set, with today's card being my 28th from the 50-card checklist. Because the cards are over 125 years old, I don't have a lot of requirements for condition, but I do try to get cards that have both front and back intact, especially the pictures on the front.


Card 28 in my set build is the White Cochin Cock. Cochins come in a variety of colors, and are a heavy bird with feathered feet.


Here's a picture of one from FeatherSite's Cochin page. According to what passes for research around here (looking at Wikipedia and FeatherSite for a minute or two), Cochins have been bred for show at the expense of egg-laying and meat-producing qualities. They still lay eggs and you can eat them, but they aren't as good for either purpose as birds bred specifically bred for eggs or meat.

1 comment: