20 March 2018

Many Thanks are Due!

I have fallen way behind on posts, to the point where I am still blogging about things from early 2017. In the meantime, cards have piled up ever-higher on my desk, and I have lost track of a great many things in the rubble. Unfortunately, some of those lost things are maildays from other bloggers, which should really be acknowledged and blogged as soon as they come in. I'll try to catch up as I dig my way through the stacks, but I know that the identities of some senders may be lost to me. The cards I am posting about today were stuffed in an envelope with someone else's return address on it, but the note accompanying them was from Jon over at A Penny Sleeve for Your Thoughts. Why did I put them in that other envelope? I don't know.


This first card of Astros hurler Doug Drabek comes from 1995 Studio, a set that was designed to resemble credit cards. Between this and Fleer's acid trip, 1995 was a weird year for cardboard. The back of the card even features a printed magnetic strip and a facsimile signature. 


Speaking of 1995 and weird things, how weird is it to see Goose Gossage in a Mariners uniform on this 1995 Score card. He played the last year of his career for Seattle in 1994, making this a sunset card for him. Jon also included some other sports in this mailing, with this serially-numbered Hakeem Olajuwon Scoring Kings Stat Line card from Donruss.


I really like the way Denver Broncos look on cardboard, but I haven't put much effort into that collection, outside of the occasional group break spot or Shannon Sharpe card. It was pretty neat to get a trio of Broncos here, including a couple of nice John Elway cards. I liked the look of Topps Magic, but never bought much of it. There is always too much other stuff to chase. The coating on that Willie Green card is just asking me to peel it off, but I am often reluctant to 'alter' a card in that way. Also, I've heard horror stories of people trying it after a number of years and having the face of the actual card peel off with the coating.

Thank you for the cards, Jon! I always appreciate maildays, and I'm sorry it's taken me a while to get this written. Again, I apologize to anyone who has sent me cards without an acknowledgment on my part. I will try to identify the sources of as many mailings as I can, and give proper thanks here on my page.

12 comments:

  1. Goose was a Mariner? First a Pirate. Now a Mariner? Learn something new everyday. Anyways... Topps Magic football was one of my favorite releases back in the early 2010's. That Elway is a great looking card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It blew my mind a little bit. In the "What If" world of sports, could you imagine batting for 7 innings against Randy Johnson circa 1995, and then facing 2 innings of 1980 Goose Gossage? It wouldn't be fair!

      Delete
  2. I don't remember Gossage playing for the Mariners either. Glad to learn something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun when your cards teach you something new!

      Delete
  3. I am a big totally certified guy. Those were great cards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty cool! I didn't have much awareness of the brand back in the day because premium cards were well out of my budget.

      Delete
  4. I only sent these out like two weeks ago, so don't worry about being late to acknowledge them, because you're not :)

    I've never taken the peel off of an old Totally Certified card before, so I don't know if anything would happen to the card or not. I have tried to take the peel off of an old Topps Finest though... and bad things did happen to that card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'The Pile' has been shuffled and knocked over a few times, so it's hard to be sure what goes where. I know there are people who may not even get a proper thanks because the cards and envelopes got mixed up in my mess.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. That one seems to be the consensus MVP from this mailing!

      Delete
  6. I've never had an issue with Pinnacle Certified, but I did run into a few Topps Finest cards where the protective film left some residue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The film on the Willie Green card seems to already be pretty loose. I don't imagine I would have any trouble peeling it off of the card.

      Delete