06 June 2018

May 2018 Loot Locker

I don't have my usual picture of the outside of a Loot Locker to put up at the top of this post, but I got my May Loot Locker in the mail a day or two ago. As usual, I went with the Triple Play option that includes a little more than the slightly cheaper All-Star box. There are also football and basketball lockers.


Here is what I got in my Loot Locker for the month. A couple pieces of candy, some Ultra Pro top loaders and sleeves, 1 pack of 2018 Panini Diamond Kings, 2 packs of 2018 Donruss, and 2 packs of 2018 Bowman. These are all Hobby packs. I always like to break down the value of the Locker based on the going price for Hobby boxes to see if I'm getting a decent price on the packs. I just take the box prices from a major online card retailer, divide those by the number of packs in a box, and multiply by the number of packs in my Locker.

2018 Diamond Kings: $75.95 / 12 = $6.33 x 1 = $6.33
2018 Donruss: $104.95 / 24 = $4.37 x 2 = $8.75
2018 Bowman: $179.95 / 24 = $7.50 x 2 = $15.00

Total: $6.33 + $8.75 + $15.00 = $30.08

Well, with the cost of the packs, hobby supplies, candy, shipping, and labor, I hope the Loot Locker folks got a good deal on their product, because this Loot Locker yielded more in packs than the $30 base price. Let's see if I pulled anything good.


I didn't find much exciting in the Diamond Kings pack. That Gabby Hartnett card has a cool picture. Other than that, I am struggling to find a lot to say about this one. Robinson Cano's injury and suspension kind of put a damper on my fantasy baseball team.


One of the Donruss packs was a Noah Syndergaard hot pack, with a Stat Line parallel and a Nickname variation appearing back to back. There were a couple of other interesting cards in the mix, including a Diamond Collection relic card of Deven Marrero, who has gone from playing not-that-great for the Red Sox Boston to playing not-that-great for the Diamondbacks Arizona.


I got a couple of neat inserts in the Bowman packs. The Ronald Acuna is a #Trending insert and the Bowman Sterling of Carlos Correa is a one-per-box insert. I like the way the Correa card looks.

Overall, this Loot Locker didn't rock my socks off. Of course, with card prices being what they are right now, it's all a big gamble. I am still not sure if I'll be grabbing another Loot Locker in June. They put a decent amount of product in there for the price, but maybe the price of cards is too high right now.

6 comments:

  1. It's insane that Bowman hobby packs are basically at $7.50 right now. Thanks, Ohtani!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew Syndergaard also had the nickname "Lion". "Thor" is probably copyrighted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're looking to trade again, that Acuna could be a good starting point. Let me know! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, thanks for showing the contents. It scratched that pack ripping itch that I tend to get.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one probably seemed less interesting only because of the great one that you got last month... it's going to be pretty hard to top that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Chris Sale Gallery of Stars is pretty nice and the Bowman pull was nice. I don't think I'd ever do these. At a lower price I'd take the gamble though. Still fun not knowing what packs will be in the box and then the actually opening of the packs. Fun post. Better luck next time you pick one of these up.

    ReplyDelete