10 June 2018

Pack of the Day 187: Two Boxes of 2017 Topps Legends of WWE

Topps had a sale on their website over the Memorial Day weekend, and one of the items on sale was Hobby boxes of 2017 Topps Legends of WWE. These things sell for $95-100 each on most card sites, and I got two boxes with shipping for about $73.50 apiece. Each box promises four hits, with three of those being guaranteed autographs. I opened a box of this stuff a few months ago that had four autographs in it.


Between the two boxes, I pulled a total of 74 base cards, with 51 singles and 23 doubles. That means two boxes got me about half of a base set. As shown in this scan, I tend to favor the wrestling legends from my youth, but the set features a lot of older names that I'm not that familiar with. I do kind of wish that Hulk Hogan would get invited back to the WWE and some of these sets. It is kind of distracting to see cards of all his contemporaries, but to never pull a card of one of the most famous wrestlers ever.


There were 19 Bronze parallels between the two boxes. This is the base-level parallel, which basically shows up in any pack that doesn't have a serially-numbered parallel inside. I thought I got some decent cards among my Bronze pulls.


These were my Silver parallel pulls. The Silver cards are # / 99, and fall 1:8 packs. So in two boxes (12 packs each), you'd expect to pull three of them. The Rock is probably the best card in this group, but I like all three of these.


I also got two Blue parallels, which are # / 50. I wasn't that familiar with Dory Funk Jr., but he is actually a pretty influential wrestler, with a long career and his own wrestling school that has trained plenty of big names.


Legendary Bouts is one of two inserts in the product, and these cards feature famous matches from wrestling history. There are some pretty big names here, like Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Randy Savage, and Cactus Jack.


The other insert in the product is called Retired Championships, which shows some retired belts and some of the wrestlers who held them. Who knew there were so many belts out there?


I pulled one basic relic card from each box. They are # / 299. That Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat relic card is pretty amazing for a basic relic card.


I pulled base autographs of two female wrestlers and Bronze autographs of two male wrestlers. The base autographs of Alundra Blayze and Wendi Richter are # / 199, while the Bronze cards of Diamond Dallas Page and Ken Shamrock are # / 99. All except the Diamond Dallas Page card carry on-card signatures.


The first big hit of the break is this autographed manu-relic Commemorative Championship Plate Card bearing the autograph of Big Show. I was pretty happy with this card, although it's probably not a huge money card. I like Big Show, and I was glad to get his signature. The card is # 68 / 99. 


The hit of the break has to be this Black parallel of "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase's autographed relic card. The card features a sweet relic swatch and a nice signature with a '$' inscription. It's also # 4 / 5.

While this break wasn't quite as amazing as my previous box was, this product is a lot of fun. I like pulling cards of all the old-school wrestlers, and each box usually produces at least a handful of really neat things. I'd like to pick up more of this product at some point. The price point is a little high, but there is some good stuff that can come out of it. It also feels a little less risky than a true high-end product like Undisputed.

12 comments:

  1. I had no clue this product was even out there but it looks like a bunch of fun. Those hits you showed are amazing and, you're right, for a basic relic card, that Steamboat is really cool. I'm definitely going to have to track some of this down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun to open. I saw recently on Dave & Adam's Card World that pre-orders are up for the 2018 version. That might be worth checking out.

      Delete
  2. This looks like one of the fun products to bust, especially liking the older wrestlers. You got some nice hits overall, the DiBiase is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DiBiase card is really cool. That swatch really puts it over.

      Delete
  3. I love that Shamrock and the Steamboat is really cool too. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Shamrock is a pretty neat hit, especially for someone who also collects MMA cards.

      Delete
  4. After seeing your breaks, I'm tempted to grab a few of these myself. Thanks for sharing. If you like DDP, here's a link from the playerstribune. I found it a wonderful read.
    https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/diamond-dallas-page-letter-to-my-younger-self

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that link. It looks like a long read; I'll have to set some time aside to get through it.

      Delete
  5. Solid break! Million Dollar Man, Big Show, and DDP autographs? That's awesome! But the highlight is that sweet Steamboat relic. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this product is a fun break. Lots of good stuff on the checklist.

      Delete
  6. Definitely looks like a fun break. Congrats on some of those hits!

    ReplyDelete