17 August 2016

Sketch Card Mania!

My scan folder is packed with photos, and it's to the point where it's a little overwhelming to even open it and look for things to post. A lot of the photos have been there for months, and I'd be willing to bet there are a few photos that might be in their second year of scan folder purgatory. Yesterday I posted Part 1 of a crazy package I got from an eBay seller, but it might be a while before I can get to Part 2. That post requires a lot of research, because there is stuff in there I've never seen before. So instead I am posting something fairly light today.

There are a lot of sketch cards on eBay. I was browsing one seller's listings yesterday, and that one seller alone had over 1200 sketches listed. There are so many sketch cards that it's pretty much impossible to even sift through them properly. I think a lot of sellers are having a hard time moving their sketch backlog, too, as prices seem to be down across the board, even for some of the high-demand artists. A while back I noticed that one seller I follow was blowing out a large number of sketches, so I put some bids in to see what I might get. I missed on quite a few of them, but I also hit on a few. There isn't much rhyme or reason to them. I bid on them because I liked them.


First up is a sketch of Kilowog (a member of the Green Lantern Corps) and Sinestro (a bad guy with similar powers but in Yellow, not sure if there is a Yellow Lantern Corps) from Cryptozoic's DC: Epic Battles card set. I believe the artist is Jeff Victor. He also has a DeviantArt profile, but I think that  his blog has been updated more recently. I am more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy, and Green Lantern has never been one of the books I follow at all, but I thought this was a cool sketch and the price was right. For anyone curious about it, when it comes to DC I mostly follow Flash, Wonder Woman, Power Girl, and the occasional offshoot like the recent DC Bombshells series and some of the sillier Harley Quinn stuff.


This next sketch comes from another Cryptozoic set, the DC: Super-Villains release. No, this is not die-cut to be something inappropriate, it is shaped to resemble the Hall of Doom, headquarters of the Injustice League. The DC: Justice League set has sketches die-cut to resemble the Hall of Justice, their respective headquarters building. You can kind of see the features of the Hall of Doom illustrated on the back of the card underneath all the text and logos.

Back to the artwork, this is a sketch of Batman villain Scarecrow done by artist Gabby Untermayerova. I like her work, but she doesn't seem to have much of a web presence outside of sketch cards that pop up for sale. I thought this was a pretty cool sketch, and I wanted one of these die-cuts from the Super-Villains set. She is the artist who did the mini sketch card I picked up from the Downton Abbey set a while back. There are a couple of her full-size sketches out there for sale that are on my watch list from that set, as someday I would like to add one to my collection and really complete my Downton Abbey master set.


The priciest sketch I picked up in this lot was this Vampirella sketch from Breygent's Women of Dynamite set. Although it was the most expensive card in this lot, I still got it for well under the going rate for most of his color sketches. He's got a nice clean art style that I really like. He is the founder of a sketch card group on Facebook where a lot of the sketch artists post their work and talk about their processes. He recently stepped down as the admin, but The Sketch Card Fanatics is still a pretty active group. He has a website, but there isn't anything on it, so here is his Facebook art page instead. I didn't really expect to get this card because Popular Artist + Bewbz + $$, but I got lucky. It's a pretty nice card and I don't have much Vampirella in my collection. Her costume doesn't really lend itself well to family life, I suppose. This card is pretty tastefully done, though, so I think it's okay.


Finally, here is a Hellboy sketch done by artist Renae De Liz. This sketch came from the Inkworks Hellboy: Sword of Storms set. It is serially-numbered to # 239 / 246, and I think it's a pretty cool scene. Most sketch cards have the character right up in your face, but this one works well. You can still tell it's Hellboy. Renae De Liz has hit the big time as a comic book artist, so I am not sure if she does sketch cards anymore. I think her most recent big-name project is DC's The Legend of Wonder Woman.

I got all of these sketches together for about what you might easily spend on one decent sketch card, so that felt pretty good. I've been focusing on sketch cards quite a bit lately, much to the detriment of my other collections. I just think artwork is really neat, and there is a variety there that you don't get in baseball cards.

6 comments:

  1. AWESOME cards! The latter three names are definitely on my wantlist, though I'll probably have to luck my way into getting anything by any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I luck my way into a lot of the sketches I wind up with. I lose a whole lot of auctions, but every so often one slips through the cracks and falls to me. It takes persistence.

      Delete
  2. There is indeed a Yellow Lantern Corps. Sinestro is leader. The Sinestro Corps War of 2009 is the best Green Lantern story ever, and directly into company crossover Blackest Knight. The original story is worth a read if you are inclined. I recently reread it in my decade long project of reading every DC comic in chronological order from 1975-2011. I'm nearing the end, in February 11 now, and the project only goes to the October books (maybe November, I forget what month they started over with)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure how recent that development was. I knew that in the last few years there were Lantern Corps of all different colors, but I didn't know the particulars. Reading all those books is quite a project! I have a rather large reading backlog to dig myself out of.

      Delete
    2. It is, and it's mostly been enjoyable. There were some years that were kind of tough to get through. I just started a comic blog yesterday, there is a link under my archive on Cardboard History, I have not yet mastered sending a link on my phone.

      Delete
    3. I'll have to check that out. I like comics and comic book characters, but I am terrible about keeping up with storylines and the recent (last ten years or so) run of comic-based films.

      Delete