17 January 2017

How Does This Happen?

I've posted a few times about my inability to track down a Danica Patrick tire relic from Panini's 2016 Prizm NASCAR product. I didn't want to pay too much, so I put in low bids on a lot of them, always getting outmatched by others who wanted to spend more than my idea of a fair price. Well, I finally won one...


...and then I won two more. Oops. I guess I got so used to throwing out lowball bids on these things that I kept bidding even when I was already the high bidder on one auction, and the prices suddenly dropped into my range. So now I've got three Danica Patrick tire relics from 2016 Panini Prizm NASCAR. These are all the base version and are unnumbered. I do like the design of these, with the car and the driver featured on the front. The main weakness (in my eyes) is the bland silver background. I have never like the basic Prizm look, with large expanses of dull silver foil. It would look my better with some color to it, like Panini has added in their Donruss Optic line.


We had some good news and some bad new yesterday. Unfortunately, the good news is pretty minor compared to the bad. The good news is that my wife's van repairs came in well under the budget I'd set aside for them. The bad news is that we had to have her new dog put down. A few months ago, one of her friends found a yellow lab as a stray, but they couldn't deal with her. My wife volunteered to take her in while we looked for the owner. No one ever came to the shelter looking for her, and we couldn't track down an owner, so we kept her. My wife named her Buttercup, but I called her Corn Dog. We got her spayed, vaccinated, and micro-chipped. Over the last couple of weeks her health has declined rapidly, so we took her to the vet. They told us that she was much older than we thought (10+ years, which is getting up there for a lab), and that she had a big tumor on her spleen. At her advanced age she probably would not survive an operation, so the vet recommended putting her to sleep. It stinks, especially for my wife, who has now lost two dogs in the last 8 months. I guess they are all family dogs, but we tend to identify our dogs as belonging to one spouse or the other. My wife favors Labradors and I lean toward Basset Hounds. I hope that Buttercup enjoyed the few months she spent with our family. We liked having her around.

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the pup. I'm sure she was happy to spend her remaining time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seemed to really like us, and we liked her.

      Delete
  2. Sorry for your loss, it's never easy to lose a family member. And it's amazing how fast they can wiggle their way into your family/heart!!
    And my dogs are my dogs... until mom comes home!! then I'm just the guy that pays the cookie bills!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a family of dog lovers. It stinks that their lives are so short compared with ours.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! Sorry bud. It's never easy to lose a member of your family. At least she'll be in a better place. My thoughts are with you and your wife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend told me once that you shouldn't feel bad when a pet passes, because no one else could have loved them like you did...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she felt loved in our house. I still feel bad about it, but we did our best to make sure she was taken care of and comfortable.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about the loss. You gave her a great few months at the end of her life which is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though we only had her for a few months, I am glad we were able to give her a safe home and plenty of love.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the cards. Very sorry to hear about your dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I would have been happy with just one copy of the card, but this is what I get for bidding with wild abandon.

      Delete