19 July 2017

Wally Moon Archives Auto Peach Parallel

I really should start an official Wally Moon player collection, but I haven't got to that point yet. Mr. Moon and I both share a distinctive facial feature, commonly referred to as a unibrow. When I saw that he had a Fan Favorites Autograph in 2017 Topps Archives, I resolved to track down a copy of it.


I actually now have two different version of his signature from the set, but this Peach parallel was the first one I acquired. One cool thing about the Fan Favorites autos is that they are on-card, a nice departure from the sticker signatures that seem to dominate the hobby these days. Wally Moon's autograph is on a 1960 Topps card design.


He was in baseball in 1960, and had a card that year. Topps changed the photo selection and color scheme from his 'real' 1960 card for this 2017 set, though. I don't know much about 1960 Topps (my parents weren't even born yet in 1960), so there are probably differences that I don't pick up on outside of the obvious. This parallel is numbered # 106 /150. I got it on eBay, but they were a 1:73 pack pull if you were busting wax.

8 comments:

  1. I have this on my list of must buys-great card and for once a legible autograph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Archives Fan Favorites autographs are some of the best cards each year. They get a wide variety of players to sign them, and they are on-card with a good mix of card designs from Topps' history.

      Delete
  2. Great addition. I don't know anything about Wally Moon, but I'd be able to recognize him on cardboard every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up the regular border version of this to put in the back of my 1960 set binder. Things like this and the Bob Lemke specials make for nice 'add-ons' to my vintage sets. I wish Topps had more guys from the 1960 set included in the Archives autos. Apparently Moon is the only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the regular version as well, but I haven't showed it off yet. Gary Cohen (Mets play-by-play guy) has a 1960 card design autograph in 2017 Archives, but it doesn't look as nice as the Moon card.

      Delete
  4. Nice. I love, love, love Archives for their Fan Favorite autographs. Moon was the first one I picked up this year... and outside of Lasorda was the most expensive. I really should have waited, but at the time I was super excited to plop down my $10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get excited about cards from new products, too. There are a couple of autographs from 2017 Allen & Ginter that I have paid too much for or that I am about to pay too much for. It's hard to wait.

      Delete