26 February 2018

Just the Parallels, Inserts, and Hits from a Hobby Box of 2017 Panini Donruss Racing

A couple of days ago I got my three-box order of 2018 BBM True Heart Japanese Woman's Wrestling cards in the mail. That is one of my most-anticipated acquisitions of the year, and usually makes for one of the longest posts of the year. I am still working on processing all of the photos for that one, so it will probably be another few days until the post is ready. In the meantime, I am working through some of the posts in my wayback queue.

Today I decided to do this box of 2017 Panini Donruss Racing that I opened last year at some point. I opened this box of cards so long ago that I don't even remember how it came into my possession. I obviously purchased it somewhere, but I don't recall where or when. 


As with most of Panini's Donruss offerings, this product has plenty of inserts, variations, regular parallels, parallels of variations, and parallels of inserts. It makes for a fun break, but it can also kind of be overload when you're sorting all of the cards out (or writing a post about them). I think most of the Cracked Ice parallels in this set, like the Austin Dillon Phenoms card, have print runs of # / 999. The Call to the Hall and Top Tier cards are not numbered, but the blue border on the Hamlin makes me feel like it should be numbered. The Ryan Newman Rocket Man nickname Gold parallel is # / 499, while the Terry Labonte Iceman is the basic version. I don't know why the Greg Biffle Race Kings card is numbered # / 499 and the Ryan Blaney isn't, but there's probably some foil color variation that I can't see in the scan right now. I think the Danica Patrick and Michael Waltrip Classics inserts are both regular versions.


I believe there was a Cut to the Chase card made for each race winner of 2016, and I pulled two of Jimmie Johnson's victories. One is a Cracked Ice parallel. The Daniel Hemric card is a parallel of some sort, numbered # / 499, while the Matt Kenseth retro design card is some other kind of parallel, numbered # / 199. I know this is ground-breaking accuracy here, but I don't want to do research tonight.


Here are all the horizontal cards. I pulled a couple of Speed inserts, a regular Kevin Harvick and a Cracked Ice # / 999 of Martin Truex Jr. I did the same with the Pole Position cards, getting a regular Martin Truex Jr. and a Cracked Ice # / 999 Carl Edwards. I just got the one Track Masters insert, with another Jimmie Johnson insert from this box. Lastly, there are some parallels, with the Clint Bowyer featuring two different liveries being # / 499, the Blue foil Kyle Busch being # / 299, and the holofoil Press Proof of Martin Truex Jr. and his pit crew being # / 49.


Each box of cards contains three hits, which I think consist of two relics and one autograph. Most of the relics are these Rubber Relics tire cards. They aren't numbered, and feature swatches of race-used tires. My first of the box is Kevin Harvick.


My next Rubber Relics card features Brad Keselowski. I don't really collect Harvick or Keselowski, but they are at least some of the bigger names in the sport. I am currently looking for an active driver to cheer for, as all of my favorite drivers have retired. I am leaning toward Darrell 'Bubba' Wallace Jr. and Kyle Busch, but I haven't decided yet.


The last hit of the box is my promised autograph, a Signature Series card of Dakoda Armstrong. He raced in the Xfinity series for most of 2017, but got released for lack of sponsorship.


Those hit cards didn't exactly blow my doors off, so the card of the break has to be this Black printing plate of Kyle Busch's Pit Crew card. It's a pretty nice-looking plate, and if you're going to get a printing plate, the Black one is usually one of the better options.

7 comments:

  1. Whoa, nice printing plate!
    The Biffle is a gold parallel, all had the same SN throughout base and subsets. The Kenseth is a green foil parallel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The printing plate really saved this box, in my opinion. Thanks for the info on the parallels!

      Delete
  2. Nice plate! I dig the tire relics from this product

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tire relics have a pretty nice design in general, but those three big stripes of silver foil are a bit much for me. I'm not big on huge expanses of foil.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I'm with you... if you're gonna pull a plate, the black one is the one to pull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is almost always the nicest-looking one, although I imagine there are exceptions.

      Delete