06 December 2017

A Grail Card, and a Really Nice Bonus Card

I've mentioned this card on my blog a few times over the years as one that I really wanted to add to my collection, but I never thought I had a realistic shot at obtaining it. This copy of it has been on eBay for a few months, and the price has slowly gone down to the point where I finally jumped on it and bought it.


The card in question is this 2010 Press Pass Showcase Classic Collections Ink Fan Favorites autograph card featuring the signatures of Dale Earnhardt Jr., Danica Patrick, Jeff Gordon, and Tony Stewart. There are a couple parallel versions of this card. My copy is the Gold parallel, numbered # 02 / 10. The card is acetate, so the signatures are all on clear plastic windows. I wasn't really chasing a graded version of the card, but this one happened to be graded. I think the autographs got a 9 because Jeff Gordon's 'J' slips off the card a bit. I am just happy to land this card, which I've been drooling over for a long time.


From the back you can see the signature windows and the printed areas. It's kind of crazy to think that these drivers are all retired now. What a lineup of names, though!


This card was the bonus card that came in the lot. I would have bought the autograph anyway, but I'm not going to complain about a patch card featuring the same four drivers. I have a couple other similar cards featuring sheet metal swatches, but this is my first Classic Collections Firesuit card from 2010 Press Pass Showcase. This is the Melting parallel, numbered # 3 / 5, and featuring rainbow holofoil to distinguish it from the base version. Those patches are sweet.


Here's the back of the card, with the same pictures as you see on the front, as well as a ton of logos and legalese.

It's not often that you add a true white whale to your collection, and I was very happy when this package arrived safely in the mail. I paid less for the quadrograph than I thought I would have to, and it jumps right to the top as far as NASCAR cards in my collection. The patch memorabilia card ranks up there, too, and it was really just a throw-in on the deal.

21 comments:

  1. Amazing cards! Great additions to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty amazing! I was happy to be in a position to get them!

      Delete
  2. Wow, those autographs look really sharp on the acetate. Congrats on spearing that whale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look really good, especially given how small the autograph windows are. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on getting your much desired card! Since this is something that you have wanted for so long, I can't help but wonder how many times you checked the tracking during it's journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I forgot the question mark at the end :(

      Delete
    2. Thank you! The worst of it was that there was no tracking, so I just had to sit and wonder!

      Delete
  4. Wow, congrats. Maybe it's just me, but to be honest, the authentication stickers over the signatures really hurts the appearance and takes away from an otherwise great looking card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do take away from the look a little bit, but in-hand they aren't nearly as obstructive as they are in the photo. The camera really brought out the holographic sheen. In-hand they look more like the photo of the card back.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic addition! As a 25 year NASCAR collector, that's probably the best two card pairing I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine it's the best two-card NASCAR post that will ever appear on my blog.

      Delete
  6. That was a great find, the acetate with the signatures looks really cool and the bonus patch card is a great companion card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad that this copy came up. I think Panini's deluge of autographed releases pushed this card down into my range, as in past years I recall the price being much higher. The patch card was an extremely nice bonus.

      Delete
  7. Congrats, huge card and it will be difficult to top that I imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't think of a card off the top of my head that would top it. It would have to be something pretty special. I've been wanting this one for a long time.

      Delete
  8. I have #3 of 10 of this same card.What do you think a fair market value would be ? Gordons auto on mine does not fall off the card. I received it as a redemption in the pack. It took 5 months to actually get the card. For a while I nervously wondered if I would actually get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to say what a fair price might be. I paid around $300 for my copy, which I feel was a little low for it. I've seen it listed before at $800, but I don't know if it ever sold at that price. I could see it going for $400-500, but maybe I am pricing it too high since Panini has come in with the NASCAR license and flooded the market with every driver's autograph.

      Delete