10 December 2017

Cyber Week Breaks: Day 3 - Chrome, High Impact, and Little Baseball Cards

Wow, today kind of got away from me. I guess that's mostly good, as I taught a lesson in church and spent some time with my wife and kids. All of that isn't great for blogging, though. Today's breaks are the last 8 packs in my first box of 2017 Topps UFC Chrome, 1 box of 2016 Topps UFC High Impact, and a pack of the On-Demand 2017 Topps Mini Baseball. In order for me to make it through all the scanning and posting, I'll just be hitting the highlights throughout this series of breaks.


I got one numbered parallel in these 8 packs of UFC Chrome, a Green Refractor of Cat Zingano numbered # 09 / 99. I collect Zingano's cards, so this was a good pull for me. To this point in the box I haven't pulled either of the two promised autographs, so they both came out of this batch.


First up is this base autograph of Henry Cejudo. I don't think I had a Cejudo autograph yet, so this was better than pulling a duplicate. I can't say much for his penmanship, but he made use of all the space available to him, and then some.


The other autograph was this Tier One autograph of Demetrious Johnson. The odds on these are 1:1,755 packs, or about one in 6 cases. This one is numbered # 4 / 5. It's a pretty cool card, but Johnson is one of the less popular names on the checklist.


From the box of UFC High Impact, this Rose Namajunas insert was one I needed for my set, so I count this as a win already. Some of the cards on this checklist have been hard to track down. Hopefully I'll be able to get the other ones I need.


I also got a Red parallel of Khabib Nurmagomedov. These Red parallels only fall 1:11 boxes, so I may only get one or two of these in the break. This one is numbered # 5 / 8.


The promised autograph features the signature of Luke Rockhold. I think he's another new addition for my collection, so that's a bonus for me. Overall, this was a pretty good box.


The pack of 2017 Topps Mini Baseball cards contained 35 cards, with 30 base, 1 insert, and 4 parallels. The base cards didn't have a lot of star power in them, but these are the highlights I picked out. It seemed like my pack was fairly heavy on the Update portion of the checklist.


My insert featured Joey Gallo on the 1987 Topps design. He hit the 3rd-most home runs in the AL for 2017 and had the 2nd-most strikeouts.


The parallels have print runs of 25 or less. Taijuan Walker was my first parallel, numbered # 07 / 25. You can see there is some color beneath the nameplate and on the spikes coming in from the edges to differentiate this as an Orange parallel.


I was happy to get some Astros content among my parallels, with the orange on this card going well with Yulieski Gurriel's jersey. You'll notice a pattern, as this card is also numbered # 07 / 25.


Staying with the AL West and the number # 07 / 25, I also got this Nomar Mazara Orange parallel.


I also got a Blue parallel of Dodgers pitcher Alex Wood, numbered # 01 / 10. Not a bad pull. I really should have ordered a couple more packs of this stuff. I would be interested to see how much of the print run they sold through, and I imagine it would be difficult if not impossible to put a set together. Player collectors and team collectors should be on the lookout for these.

Overall, this wasn't too bad of a break for the day. I got some PC cards, an insert I needed, a 1:6 case hit, and several low-numbered parallels.

7 comments:

  1. That Mighty Mouse autograph is sweet! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting something like that. It's a pretty good hit from a pretty good product.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm pretty happy with today's batch of loot.

      Delete
  3. I don't collect UFC cards, but I love to watch their events. It kinda blows my mind that Mighty Mouse isn't one of the more popular names in the set - I consider him (and I think others do as well) the best pound-for-pound best fighter in the world.

    If you are ever interested in moving the Mazara parallel, let me know. I would love to trade for it.

    ReplyDelete