10 January 2018

Dave & Buster's DC Injustice Game Cards

Here's another post about cards I picked up while I was in New Jersey last year. I am not the type of person who goes to arcades often. There are too many people there, and I have a hard time justifying the expense of playing games there when I can play video games at home. But one of the guys at my course wanted to go to Dave & Buster's, and because I was riding along, we went to Dave & Buster's. I played a few games, and then I saw a cabinet for the DC Injustice: Gods Among Us game. It was spitting out trading cards of comic book characters, which the players could then scan in and use in the game!

I waited in line for my turn, and played a couple of games against the guy I was there with. I was familiar with the mobile version of the game, so I won pretty easily. We each got a couple of cards, which we then scanned in to use against each other. Then some little kid came up with a deck of cards and asked to play the winner. He scanned in some super-powered special cards and absolutely destroyed me in one or two moves. Then he asked if he could have my card. I told him no. Getting hustled by that little kid stung my pride a bit, but I played a couple more times and gathered some more cards. My friend didn't want his cards, so he gave the ones he'd won to me. I ended up with 8 cards overall.


Here are the characters I wound up getting. The Shazam and the Superman cards are both foil, while the others are basic cardstock. There was a poster set up next to the cabinet that showed all of the available characters, but the spots occupied by foil cards were blanked out with a question mark. I would have liked to get a Wonder Woman card, but it didn't happen. I wish I would have taken a picture of the poster, but maybe I can find the character list online somewhere.


The checklist has 100 cards in it. I imagine the Silver and Gold stars are some kid of quality/ranking system, with more stars meaning higher stats. It would probably take quite a bit of cash to win that many cards by playing games at the arcade. The bar codes along the top are what you use to scan your characters into the machine. If you don't have cards to scan, the machine fills your roster with random starter characters. You can see the relative stats of each character here, as well as their attacks and their special ability.

I thought it was pretty exciting to have an arcade game dispensing trading cards here in the United States. It's not SEGA Card-Gen Baseball, but it's something. Maybe if enough people dump money into these superhero machines, a sports game will come along. It looks like there are Mortal Kombat cards available, but I don't know if they have a standalone game or some kind of tie-in to the DC game. The internet also tells me that all 100 cards in the checklist are available in both regular and holofoil form, making a DC master set of 200 cards total.

11 comments:

  1. Never heard of the game or the cards... now I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard about it either, until I saw it in action.

      Delete
  2. I go to our local D&B at least twice a year for school functions. If I see this machine, I'll definitely give it a try, because those cards are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting trading cards out of the machine is much more fun than winning tickets!

      Delete
  3. I love the artwork on those! It reminds me of the Japanese arcades and all the Sega card-game arcade machines. I might have to pick a few of these up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty cool-looking! I'm glad this arcade idea has finally reached our shores. Much better to get this than that Kancho game, Boong Ga Boong Ga!

      Delete
  4. This is so great. Arcade games that also give you cards might be my own personal version of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the clouds actually parted and a ray of light lit up the game cabinet when I saw it.

      Delete
  5. I have a set 88 cards.. I need numbers 2,6,8,9,10,13,18,25,27,29,31,34,35,39,41,51,53,54,57,63,64,68,69,70,73,76,78,.
    84,85,91,94,98.. these are the regular cards mixed I think with the holocards. The game is so much fun. I'd like to know whom the characters are for these numbers 😀.. thanks for a great post..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13 New 52 Flash
      27 Solomon grundy
      29 Joker
      39 Arrow Green arrow
      41 Krypto Lex Luthor
      84 Boss Solomon Grundy
      91 Arkham knight

      Delete
    2. https://rawthrills.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Injustice_Roll-up_Banner_FreeCard_03_small.pdf here is a copy of the poster

      Delete