11 January 2018

2017 Topps Allen & Ginter Eric LeGrand Auto and Bonus Relics

I always like tracking down some of the non-baseball autographs and relics from Allen & Ginter. The baseball stuff is all right, but I am drawn to the celebrities and personalities more than the baseball players in this product. I feel the same way about Upper Deck's Goodwin Champions product. There are a lot of fun cards in these sets that you won't get in a standard baseball card set, and I think the execution on both products is usually a little better than in celebrity-focused sets like Panini Americana.


One card I was looking for from 2017 Topps Allen & Ginter was Eric LeGrand's autograph. I didn't set out to get the Black Framed version, but when it fell to me for about the same price as a base autograph, I didn't say no. This one is numbered # 14 / 25. I talked a little about LeGrand's story when I posted about his relic card back in September, but he was a college football player who was injured in a game and paralyzed. He received several awards and a lot of recognition for the determination he showed as he worked on recovery, learning to breathe again on his own and regaining some of the feeling in his arms.

The eBay seller who I bought the LeGrand card from was out of town due to an emergency and took a while to ship the card. I wasn't too worried about it because the seller messaged me to let me know what was going on. He included a couple of relic cards in the package anyway to make up for the delay. I thought that was pretty cool. The first one is this horizontal relic card of Salvador Perez.


The second is this vertical card of San Francisco Giant Evan Longoria, which is sure a weird thing to think about. He pretty much was the Rays, and now he's not there anymore.

I'm pretty excited for tomorrow, because I ordered a bunch of 5000-count boxes and I feel ready to start my sorting project anew. My plan is to take stacks of cards from my random piles and boxes, sort them, upload the stats to the Trading Card Database, and then file them in these new boxes as I go. We'll see if I can do it this time.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the sorting project. It actually sounds like a lot of fun....especially when couple with The Trading Card Database!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the sorting will be fun, and some of it will be miserable drudgery. I may have to start watching some shows or movies to help pass the time.

      Delete
  2. I really need to go down to GTS and pick up a bunch of 5000ct. boxes myself. Had hoped to accomplish that feat over the Christmas break. Oh well... maybe during the February break. Have fun with your sort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty easy to put off purchasing hobby supplies. It's more fun to buy more cards than it is to buy boxes, pages, and sleeves.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the project. Hope it goes better this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it goes better this time as well. My main issue is space. I have too much stuff and not enough room.

      Delete