25 January 2018

Road Cards

On my way from Idaho to Utah, I stopped at a Walmart to grab a few things I needed. While I was there, I had to stop by the card aisle to see what kind of stuff they had on the shelves. There wasn't a whole lot of stuff that was different from my 'home' Walmart stores, but I grabbed a couple of basketball hanger boxes.


First up was this 2016-17 Donruss Optic hanger box. With only 12 cards in a box, this would be better served as a fat pack or something, but I guess they can charge more for the hanger box, and have it take up more eyeball space on the shelf.


Sorry for the potato-cam pictures here. The lighting in my room might even be worse than the lighting above my desk at home. Kyle Lowry used to be a Rocket, so I guess he's the highlight of this batch.


I got a Rookie Kings card of Caris LeVert, a Prizm of Skal Labissiere, and a nice Pink Prizm parallel of Jonas Valanciunas, who is on my Fantasy Basketball team in the league run by Cards on Cards. The Pink Prizm is numbered # 16 / 25.


I also grabbed this hanger box of 2015-16 Panini Prestige out of the clearance box. This one's got even fewer cards in it, but I got sucked in by the promise of Acetate Rookies.


Here is a blurry photo of the base cards. I guess John Wall is the big name here. Those Wizards uniforms are pretty sweet.


As promised on the front of the box, I got two rookies and one acetate rookie card. Jahlil Okafor is the best of the two regular rookies, and the acetate card features Wille Cauley-Stein. Okafor isn't having a great season right now, but Cauley-Stein is pretty hot at the moment, although playing for the Kings is a bad spot for pretty much anyone. 


This was a pleasant surprise out of this box. A relic card of a legitimate all-time great of the game, Larry Bird. With most products these days pumping out rookie cards like nobody's business, it's nice to occasionally get a card featuring a good veteran or retired player, and it's hard to top Bird.

This wasn't too bad of a break, especially for basketball cards. If this were a normal basketball break for me, I wouldn't have pulled the Valanciunas parallel, and the Bird relic would be replaced with a Kenneth Faried swatch.

11 comments:

  1. A Larry Bird jersey card? I'd say you definitely did good on the Prestige box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was pretty happy to find that card in there!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on pulling a Larry Legend relic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the Bird! I'm kind of surprised to see that someone of his caliber was even added to the relic's set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That particular insert set had a pretty varied checklist.

      Delete
  4. I wish I could still find Optic blasters or hangers at my Wal Marts and Targets! And nice Larry Bird Jersey, I actually pulled the exact same Bird but in a Hobby Box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find any Prizm locally, but there seems to be a ton of Optic.

      Delete