03 April 2018

What's the Big Idea?

Wow, I really mailed it in here on the blog during March. It was my lowest blog post output since April of 2016, when I was away from home and the internet for most of the month. I didn't have any good excuses last month, except that I just haven't been feeling it. I've felt a little out-of-touch in general over the last couple of months, and that feeling has extended into my blogging, too. I hope that I can break out of that funk soon, but it might be time to head back to the doctor and see if maybe my medication isn't doing the job anymore. I would describe what I'm feeling as a pretty consistent low-grade anxiety attack. Enough about that, though. Let's get to the meat of the post, The Big Idea.

I've been toying with the idea of starting a Wally Moon player collection for a while. He is pretty famous among collectors for his bushy unibrow, a feature that also appears on my face. I was thinking about his cards, and then I went on the PSA website and noticed that the Wally Moon Basic Set only has 12 items on it, his Topps cards from 1954-1965. That led me to eBay, where I lost control of my impulses and wound up with a complete run in a matter of days. A series of offers and coupons didn't help my self-control any, and I wound up making a little progress on the Wally Moon Master Set, to boot. I've already shared these pictures on Twitter, but I'll share them here as well.


This was probably the prize of the bunch. It's Wally's rookie card from 1954 Topps. I didn't get an amazing deal on it, but I got a pretty good deal and it's a nice-looking piece of cardboard.


I especially like the backs on these vintage cards, although Moon's cards tend to recycle the same group of factoids over and over. 


The 1955 card features the same headshot as the 1954 Topps card, but a different image off to the side.


Moon's 1956 card has another repeat of the headshot, but this time the the other image is an exciting play at the plate. I picked up the Gray Back variation to fill this spot in the Basic Set. 


Finally, 1957 gives us a different picture to look at, with Wally wielding a bat and staring into the camera.


The back of the 1957 is a little less colorful than previous designs, but I guess they can't all have cartoons. This is the first card to have more than a couple rows of statistics.


His 1958 card is a little bland with that green background, but I also really like the way this card looks. I can't explain why, though.


Cartoons also return for his 1958 card, but at the expense of the multiple years of statistics that appeared on his 1957 card.


There isn't really an ugly card in this run, and Moon's 1959 issue is another nice-looking piece of cardboard. It is also the first one in the run to show him as a Dodger. I am not really a fan of the Cardinals or the Dodgers, but I am a fan of Wally Moon.


This card back mixes a small cartoon with a full stat box. I am a fan of this layout, especially in the pre-internet days when cards were the primary source of information about a players stats. I lived through the later part of that era, and I remember selecting favorite players largely by comparing the numbers on the back of cards.


We break into the 1960's with this garish pink and yellow number. This is the design used for Moon's 2017 Topps Archives autograph card, although Topps used blue and red instead of pink and yellow for that one. They also used different pictures, but ones that are remarkably similar to the ones on this card.


This is where my impatience kind of bit me. This one is graded an 8, but it has the (PD) qualifier due to printing marks all over the front of the card. That knocks it down two whole grades in PSA's calculations. I really don't mind the marks all that much, but I may upgrade this someday. I like the person in the background of this photo, partially obscured by Wally's arm. It would be nice if today's Heritage cards had some people or cars or something interesting in the background.


Here's another card with full stats on the back, along with a cartoon, but no biographical paragraph.


Again, I got bitten by my impulsive nature here, and bought a card with a cracked case. It's a nice-looking card, but that crack in the case is unsightly. There are a few variations of this card, but this is the one I got. There are also Venezuelan variants of this card, which are hard to come by.


The back of the case for this 1962 card is also cracked. One of the tougher cards from the Wally Moon Master Set is going to be the Venezuelan version of the 1962 NL Batting Leaders card, which also features a guy named Bob Clemente on the front. Condition isn't going to be a deal-breaker on that one. I'll just be happy to get a copy of it, graded or not.


Jumping into 1963, here's another really good-looking card. My parents were only a year old in 1963, so I don't have the familiarity with designs of this vintage that some collectors do. One enjoyable thing about grabbing these cards is that I get to look at some designs that I'm not well-versed in.


The card backs from here on through to 1965 feature big blocks of stats.


While his earlier cards featured a hint of a smile here and there, his last few cards show a ballplayer who is all business.


I am running out of things to say about the card backs. This one has a scratch-off trivia question, but the answer can be seen by holding the card up to the light at an angle.


This 1965 card marks the end of Wally's Topps run, as he would retire after the 1965 season, and wouldn't get a card in the 1966 set.


This is the card back that is most familiar to me out of the bunch, as I bought and sorted a ton of 2014 Topps Heritage in an attempt to collect the set by busting packs. That didn't work out for me, but I did see a lot of card backs that looked a lot like this one. 


I found a few other items for my Wally Moon collection, and I'll add some of them here at the end of this post. This is a Topps Stamp from 1962. I think these also are available in panels, with different pairings of players. I started with this single, though, because it was relatively cheap.


I also picked up the White Back variation of Moon's 1956 card, again because it was pretty cheap. 


Finally, here is a 1961 Post Cereal card. This is the perforated version, but there are also hand-cut versions out there. I think I need both types if I want to build the Master Set. I do want to build the Master Set, but I've cleared out most of the low-hanging fruit. I can't afford to build the rest of it at this blistering pace.

20 comments:

  1. There should be an option to have the cracked slab replaced / re-holdered - nice start to a collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be nice, but I can't imagine they would re-case a card without charging a fee to have it graded again. Whenever I gather all of the cards in my Allen & Ginter chicken set, I'll probably submit the cracked case card along with all the chicken cards.

      Delete
  2. There is a 1962 Topps Venezuelan Moon on eBay right now, it is a good price but it is in horrible condition. I picked up a 1967 Topps Venezuelan from the seller last year and I got it pretty fast considering it came from Venezuela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that one. The same seller had a better copy in their inventory, and I grabbed that one. It was supposed to be delivered today, but no one was home to sign for it. Thanks for looking out for me!

      Delete
  3. Did you collect him because he looks like you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was part of it. I feel a little affinity for players with unibrows.

      Delete
  4. Haha, awesome. I wonder if unibrow was even a word back then and if he embraced it or it wasn't a big deal. Crazy you got the whole run. Where do you stand on the master set now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need 18 of the 33 in the Master set. There are also maybe a couple of cards that should be in that set that aren't listed yet. I have one or two cards that aren't graded yet, so they won't count until they are graded.

      Delete
  5. So cool! Have you been adding all the Archives autos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've picked up a couple of them, but I am not worried about getting them graded or anything. They are just part of my Wally Moon collection, not part of this particular project.

      Delete
  6. "I would describe what I'm feeling as a pretty consistent low-grade anxiety attack." That is how I feel almost all the time, and you know something... it's not very fun!

    I was wondering when you were going to show these on the blog, as they were much too cool to only share on the Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have medication and coping strategies, but they don't work all the time. It depends on what else I've got going on in my life.

      Twitter is fun for showing things off quickly. I've had a hard time blogging recently, and Twitter allows me to still be involved a little bit.

      Delete
  7. I wasn't really sure if the old school cartoons were just generically done or if the artists actually tried to make the drawings more caricature like in nature. The back of the 1956 card answers that question, as Moon's unibrow is alive and well!
    Hope you're feeling more like yourself soon. Your blogs is one of my favorite to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's something I hadn't thought of before. It would make sense to reuse generic cartoons from a business standpoint.

      I am feeling better. Thanks for the well wishes. I am light years better these days than I was in my twenties, even on my worst days, so I am grateful for that.

      Delete
  8. This is an awesome project! Sorry to hear about your funk. As a fellow anxiety attack sufferer... I wouldn't wish a consistent low-grade anxiety attack on anyone. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty fun project. I probably shouldn't have jumped into it all in one whack like that, but collecting the Master Set will, by necessity, take a while.

      I do feel better now, although that hasn't yet translated to more frequent blog posts. I don't know how you can work such a public job like teaching with anxiety. I guess maybe you've got different triggers.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear you're feeling better now.

      I've never experienced anxiety around my students... but I did have one at a Back to School Night in front of parents three years ago. I stumbled on a few words, started to get nervous, and really struggled with the rest of my presentation. Luckily presentations are only 10 minutes long. I had a 15 minute break before my next presentation... and I was able to recover. To make a long story shorter... that was the final straw. I went to counseling after that to learn how to deal with it.

      Delete
    3. Often you need some event like that to push you into doing something about a problem. I wish I had sought help earlier in my life, but I can't do anything about that now. I just have to try to make progress from where I am.

      Delete
  9. Is there some connection between anxiety and blogging. I too understand. Sometimes blogging helps. I'm also a recovering bushy unibrow person. You have to prune. You have to. It looks like you've practically become a Wally Moon super collector in one fell swoop. I like it. Those Venezuelans are tough. I still have none in my extensive Ron Santo collection. Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried trimming the unibrow before, but then I didn't feel like me anymore. I guess everyone has their comfort zone. If my wife didn't like my 'brow, I'd probably feel more pressure to change, but one of the reasons I like her is that she likes me the way I am. I don't know if I can claim the title of Wally Moon super collector yet, but I am off to a good start. Blogging probably attracts people with anxiety because it allows us to interact with other people on our own terms.

      Delete