16 July 2014

N20 Allen & Ginter Prize & Game Chickens 6: Silky Hen


I have a lot of schoolwork assigned right now, so I haven't got around to scanning and cropping any more sports cards. That means you get another chicken from the N20 Allen & Ginter Prize & Game Chickens set, the Silky Hen. This card is graded 4.0 and again falls pretty well in the middle of the graded cards in the population report.  There is a total PSA-graded population of 7 cards, with 3 cards graded higher, one other card graded the same, and two lower-graded cards. The highest score is an 8.0 and the lowest score is a 1.0. No card in this set so far has been graded at higher than 8.0 by PSA, and only two PSA 8.0 cards from the set exist at the moment.


Silky bantam.jpg
"Silky bantam". Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons.

The Silky (Silkie) is kind of an interesting bird. They have fluffy, silky plumage, five toes on each foot instead of the four usually found on chickens, and black pigmentation to their skin, meat, and bones. That meat is kind of crazy-looking. I'd never seen that before. People say it tastes like any other chicken meat. Kind of a cool bird, even if the puffy feathers make it look like a Muppet.


I recently started a new Accounting course, and the instructor is one of those professors who believes that his course should be the highest priority in his students' lives for the duration of the semester and assigns enough homework, reading, and quizzes to ensure that is the case. I know that there are several other students falling behind in the work as quickly as I am due to distractions like work, family, personal hygiene, sleep, and other courses, so perhaps he will notice the trend and ease up a bit over the remaining weeks. We seem to get a lot of brand new adjunct professors in this program, and it seems like we go through this same cycle with most of them. It makes the first couple weeks of any course pretty painful, though, and the fatigue of trying to keep up usually lingers throughout the remainder of the classes, like a sort of academic jet lag.

I am still maintaining a 3.5-ish GPA, but that has been inflated by some pretty heavy grade-curving throughout the last few semesters. The instructors probably are under pressure to keep most of us moving through the program so that the school can keep getting that tuition money rolling in, so it seems pretty rare for anyone in any of my classes to fail a class outright after the curve has been applied. There may be a lot of C- grades, though. I've had one or two of those myself.

My box of Allen & Ginter for Gint-a-Cuffs should arrive today, which is somewhat exciting. It will be hard to wait for the rules to get posted, but I don't really have time to scan all the cards and tally up my score right now anyway. My wife got some Target gift cards for buying a billion Pull-Ups for our kids, so I used them on a blaster box of Allen & Ginter. It was the worst blaster ever, and I had absolutely no reason to scan any of the cards that came from it. Hopefully that isn't some kind of foreshadowing for my Gint-a-Cuffs box.

1 comment: