05 July 2014

What eBay Hath Wrought 88: 2009 Allen & Ginter Kristin Armstrong Auto


When I was at the card show last month I saw a few copies of Kristin Armstrong's autograph and relic cards from 2009 Allen & Ginter. She lives here locally in Boise, so they all had the hometown markup on them. I didn't really want to pay the premium, but I put a search in on eBay to see if any of them popped up at a reasonable price. Eventually this one surfaced, and I grabbed it for about half the going rate at the card show tables. I may still try to track down the relic version of the card.

Armstrong started out as a triathlete, but the development of osteoarthritis in her hips caused her to drop running and focus on cycling. She had a large number of wins and high finishes in Road Races and Time Trials from 2002-2012, highlighted by Gold medals in the 2008 and 2012 Summer Olympics. I don't recall the post-2008 Olympics scene here in Idaho, but after the 2012 Olympics there was quite a bit of hoopla in the local media celebrating her return to the state after winning the Gold.

There is another local person with some cards out there, a jockey named Gary Stevens. He's got relics and autographs in the 2013 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions set. I probably wouldn't normally seek out cards of jockeys and cyclists, but I like the local connection they have, and it makes for a nice little mini-collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment