25 January 2017

This Sketch Card is Loco(duck)!

I've mentioned about a million times that I have a long list of artists whose work I want to add to my sketch card collection. Lately I've been focusing on my two main sketch collections, DC's Power Girl and Princess Leia from Star Wars, but I leave wiggle room for other work that interests me. I don't want to put unnecessary constraints on my art collection.

One of the artists I've been tracking is Michael 'Locoduck' Duron. He's got a pretty distinctive art style that I like, and his sketches seem to be pretty popular. Art is kind of a weird animal, with prices all over the place, and his licensed Marvel and Star Wars work tends to sell a little (or a lot) out of my usual price range. Luckily, there are deals to be had out there, and when this Yoda / Chewbacca sketch from 2015 Topps Star Wars 3D Widevision: Revenge of the Sith popped up with a very low Buy It Now price I jumped on it quickly. It's a big full-color sketch of two popular characters, and I am glad I was able to grab it. I'd have to say that Leia and C-3PO are probably my favorite Star Wars characters, but these two aren't very far down on my list. I like the linework and coloring on this one, and in Duron's work in general. I saw that he does caricatures at one of the Disney parks, and I think that influence comes through in his art.


Here is the back of the card, with the artist's signature and Darth Vader. I like it when artists sign the back of sketch cards. It really helps a collector to seek out more art by that artist when the artist's name is somewhere on the card.

5 comments:

  1. Any sketch of Yoda is a winner in my book. By the way... I totally agree. It's the coolest thing when the artists sign their sketch cards on the back. It's like getting two collectibles for the price of one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't really thought of the signatures as autographs before. I mostly just like the ability to identify the artist. I have a couple of sketch cards in my collection that I really like, but I've never been able to track down the names of the artists who made them.

      Delete
  2. That's a cool sketch card, Raz. I like the expressions he gave those two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did give them some good expressions. It makes me wonder what they are seeing.

      Delete
  3. Hey Raz great card! I collect cards by Mike and even write a blog about his art. If you ever decide to sell or trade that card let me know. Great post!

    ReplyDelete