25 January 2017

This Sketch Card is Loco(duck)!

I've mentioned about a million times that I have a long list of artists whose work I want to add to my sketch card collection. Lately I've been focusing on my two main sketch collections, DC's Power Girl and Princess Leia from Star Wars, but I leave wiggle room for other work that interests me. I don't want to put unnecessary constraints on my art collection.

One of the artists I've been tracking is Michael 'Locoduck' Duron. He's got a pretty distinctive art style that I like, and his sketches seem to be pretty popular. Art is kind of a weird animal, with prices all over the place, and his licensed Marvel and Star Wars work tends to sell a little (or a lot) out of my usual price range. Luckily, there are deals to be had out there, and when this Yoda / Chewbacca sketch from 2015 Topps Star Wars 3D Widevision: Revenge of the Sith popped up with a very low Buy It Now price I jumped on it quickly. It's a big full-color sketch of two popular characters, and I am glad I was able to grab it. I'd have to say that Leia and C-3PO are probably my favorite Star Wars characters, but these two aren't very far down on my list. I like the linework and coloring on this one, and in Duron's work in general. I saw that he does caricatures at one of the Disney parks, and I think that influence comes through in his art.


Here is the back of the card, with the artist's signature and Darth Vader. I like it when artists sign the back of sketch cards. It really helps a collector to seek out more art by that artist when the artist's name is somewhere on the card.

4 comments:

  1. Any sketch of Yoda is a winner in my book. By the way... I totally agree. It's the coolest thing when the artists sign their sketch cards on the back. It's like getting two collectibles for the price of one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't really thought of the signatures as autographs before. I mostly just like the ability to identify the artist. I have a couple of sketch cards in my collection that I really like, but I've never been able to track down the names of the artists who made them.

      Delete
  2. That's a cool sketch card, Raz. I like the expressions he gave those two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did give them some good expressions. It makes me wonder what they are seeing.

      Delete