28 March 2017

Picking Up Some Laundry

I haven't felt much like blogging the last few days. I've still been cranking out posts here and there, but without a lot of enthusiasm. Maybe it's the changing of seasons or something. I've got several longer posts piled up that I'd like to get to, box breaks and the like, but the amount of effort required for those gets me down when I think about it.

There are a lot of people projecting big things for the Astros this year, which has me worried. I think they need better pitching. Texas is pretty good. Seattle is also pretty good, even though no one really talks about them. I am right in the middle of fantasy baseball draft season. The teams I've drafted so far have me thinking it's going to be a long year.


Here is a pretty neat card I picked up recently. It's a Jon Singleton Treasure Signature Materials card from 2014 Panini National Treasures Baseball. This is the Laundry Tag parallel, with a little bit of the laundry tag from a jersey in the relic window. The signature is on a bit of acetate sandwiched into the card. There are only so many relic swatches you can get from a laundry tag, so this one is numbered # 6 / 8. Singleton doesn't get a lot of cardboard these days, so it's nice when I can find something new from his days as a prospect on the upswing for my player collection.



From the back you get to see the signature in reverse, which I guess is pretty cool. All of the real estate it takes up displaces the other back-of-card elements, though, creating a cluttered appearance. I guess that doesn't matter too much, as card backs seem to be a lost cause these days anyhow, especially on high-end hit-based sets.

6 comments:

  1. I'm gonna pretend I'm a cool 16 year old collector and say... "damn... that laundry tag is dirty". Nothing like airing out your dirty laundry ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that it's kind of cool to have a laundry tag card in my collection. Who knew there could be so many variations of a jersey relic card?

      Delete
  2. A laundry tag and a button card are both on my short list! Nice snag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a button card yet, so that's on my list, too.

      Delete
  3. That's a cool looking card. As for the Astros... don't they project them to take off every year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most writers had them projected to break out in 2017 (Sports Illustrated did a cover a couple years ago proclaiming them the 2017 World Series Champions), but in 2015 they busted out ahead of schedule and made it to the ALDS. Last year they regressed just a tad, and this year they are supposed to take the next step.

      Delete