27 November 2017

Pack of the Day 180: 2017 Topps Holiday Box

I was at Wal-Mart last night, looking at Collector's Boxes of Topps Gallery but unable to justify $70 for one of them, when I saw some Topps Baseball Holiday Boxes next to the Gallery display. They had a more reasonable price tag, and I grabbed one of them along with a hanger pack of Topps Gallery.


Each box advertises that it has 10 packs of 10 cards each, with one relic, autograph, or autographed relic card per box. Maybe not quite as enticing as the two promised autographs in a Collector's Box of Topps Gallery, but quite a few of the Gallery box breaks I've seen haven't had autographs worth writing home about anyway.


Here are the pack odds. You are likely to find 5 snowflake parallels and a relic card in each box. Autographs fall about once every 27 boxes, and every other hit has pretty astronomical odds. There is also some No Purchase Necessary information on here for those who are into that.


The product is basically the same as the 2016 version. It takes the current year's basic Topps design and adds a snowflake pattern to the upper right corner. The card backs have different numbering. I think the checklist has 200 cards, so it's pretty much a stars and rookies kind of product. I haven't checked to see if the card backs contain different write-ups or if they are the same as the base product.


Here are a few of the standout base cards. I was lucky enough to pull a few Houston Astros from this box. I also pulled a few stars from the teams that the Astros vanquished on their way to the championship this year. Max Scherzer got included because I like him and Ben Zobrist got included because Astro Evan Gattis makes a cameo on his card.


I got the expected 5 snowflake parallels, which are just like the base cards except that they have glitter affixed to the snowflake portion of the card. I guess Yu Darvish is the best pull I had on that front. In the bottom right is my relic card, featuring World Series MVP George Springer. Not a bad box for an Astros fan. The only disappointment with the relic card is that the relic doesn't fill the window. There is a distinct gap at the bottom of the window where the fabric doesn't reach the edge. I'll probably wind up buying another box or two of this in an attempt to complete the base set.

10 comments:

  1. Bummer on the relic not quite fitting, but overall it seems like a good box for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty happy with it overall. I've got to complain about something, though.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping to pick up a few of the Buccos, but will likely not be purchasing a box. eBay here I come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Hopefully you find them on there.

      Delete
  3. Be aware that card #107 is an unintentional short print. Topps said there was a printing error. That might make it hard to complete the set

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read something about that. I guess we'll see how difficult it really is to pull.

      Delete
  4. I need to find myself a box at some point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on finding one! It helps to live away from civilization!

      Delete
  5. These late year Topps releases through Walmart / Target maybe a little overkill but I like these cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is probably too much, but I like a lot of the products they are releasing through these retail channels. It's kind of nice to see them pay attention to the retail buyers who may not have a card shop nearby. Of course, you do wind up dealing with the guys who buy up the entire stock to flip on eBay, which is frustrating at times.

      Delete