25 May 2018

Target Does Right by the Little Guy - 2018 Bowman Mega Box

I stopped at the local Target last night to see if they had any Bowman Mega Boxes. I checked the card aisle and the toy section, and they didn't have them. I almost skipped going today while I was out on errands, but I decided to at least give it a shot. There wasn't anything in the card aisle, but as I approached the toy aisles I saw a small crowd gathered. Target had actually posted an employee near the Mega Box display, and he was rationing them out with a limit of four per customer. I saw one guy who looked like he might be looking to fight the Target worker, but he eventually took his four boxes and moved on. I asked for three boxes, and the employee handed them over. I also told him that I appreciated what they were doing, and he said that they try to do that if they feel a product is hot and likely to be cleared out and scalped by resellers. He said that if I have friends who are looking for Mega Boxes, they have some more in the back, and they can go and ask for them. If you're in Nampa, Idaho or thereabouts, they had Mega Boxes as of noon today.


Here is what the box looks like. The box is bigger than a blaster, with fewer packs, and it's a bit cheaper than a blaster. The real draw here is the 2 Mega Box exclusive Chrome packs.


Here are the odds and whatnot from the back of the box. You've got your usual assortment of inserts, parallels, and autographs.


These were the highlights of the regular Bowman packs from my first box. Nothing too crazy here.


Here are the highlights from the initial two packs of Mega Box Chrome. The Green parallel of Heliot Ramos is # 09 / 99. 


Here are some highlights from the regular Bowman packs in the second box I opened. I should probably be showing off more prospect cards, but I don't know any of those guys. Kyle Tucker is one of the hotter prospects the Astros have coming up. I just learned that the Astros released one of my PC guys, Jon Singleton, after he tested positive on another drug test and earned himself a 100-game suspension. He wasn't likely to make the big-league roster again anyway, but getting suspended again for drugs isn't the way to make yourself attractive to any other teams out there. I'm guessing that this might really be the end of the line for him when it comes to baseball.


There was some color in this Mega Box. The Jorge Mateo Gold parallel is # 16 / 50, while the Purple #Trending insert of Sixto Sanchez is # 150 / 250. Ronald Acuna and Royce Lewis are some pretty good base pulls.


The last box I opened gave up some Astros, Vlad Jr., one of the Braves' hot players, and some other stuff from the regular packs.


The inserts from the Mega Box packs weren't that interesting (to me), but I did get Kyle Tucker, Shed Long, and Adbert Alzolay from the base cards.

This wasn't an earth-shattering break, but I was glad to have a chance at opening a few Mega Boxes. I thought it was pretty cool of the local Target to ration them so that more people could have a chance, although not everyone at the store today felt the same.

6 comments:

  1. I wish the Target near me would have done that. I spoke to a guy working there and he said that less than 20 minutes after they stocked them, they were gone(a few days ago) and they haven't gotten more stock. He knew exactly what all the hype was about too. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Glad to see you found some

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was really cool! If you're not keeping the 2 Braves refractors, I'm sure I can come up with something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that seems pretty unusual to have a big-box store be that aware of the retail card market. Good for them.

    I have to say outside of the Ohtani refractor hype, I don't get the appeal. Outside of the colored borders, these cards do nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your story. I have three Wal-Marts and two Targets within a half-hour drive and I've learned that if I don't get there within an hour or two of when they stock the shelves a product like this is gone. Problem is I never know when that is going to happen. I've pretty much given up on the retail hype, and I won't be buying any of the inflated hobby prices either. It's a rough time being a collector in P-town.
    Very cool your Target had a rep there to hand out the boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, but crazy that these are getting cleaned out in hours.

    ReplyDelete