14 January 2017

Pack of the Day 154: A Couple Blaster Boxes of 2016 Topps WWE Divas Revolution

Fairly recently, Topps put out a Walmart-exclusive (although it's showed up at Toys"R"Us stores) WWE product called 2016 WWE Divas Revolution. As the name suggests, it's a product that focuses on the women's division of the WWE. The main draw behind the product is that it offers a relic or autograph in each blaster.


Here's a scan of the box front and box top. I included the top flap because it has Bayley and Asuka on it. I actually bought three blasters of this stuff, but in the first one I opened, 75% of the cards (38 out of 51) cards were severely miscut. You could see large diagonal sections of the adjoining cards from the sheet on each of them.

I reached out on Twitter to complain a little bit about the first blaster of an anticipated product turning out so poorly. Walmart's Twitter rep came back and told me to return the cards for a refund, and Topps' Twitter rep told me to fill out the damage claim form from the website and send it in with all of the required documentation (Proof of purchase, receipt, claim form). I opted for the refund from Walmart over spending more money to ship proof to Topps with the promise of an equivalent replacement based on their evaluation of the damage claim, so I packed up all 51 cards (including the hit, a Naomi mat relic, which will probably just get tossed in the trash with the rest) and tried to explain to the person at the customer service counter what a miscut card is. Eventually I just said that they were printed diagonally instead of straight, and she processed the return.


Here are the odds from the side of the box. There are parallels of the base set, and I think there are also parallels of the inserts. Then come all of the various odds for hits. There are decent odds for pulling an autograph, kiss card, or shirt relic, but most of the hits are going to be mat relics.


Out of two blasters I was able to complete the base set, with a few doubles and a triple or two. Each card features the appropriate logo for that wrestler's era. Names hang from a little banner in the middle of the card. It's a little clunky, I guess, because it splits all the photos right in half. The write-ups on the back of the cards are pretty extensive, which I found refreshing. So often it seems like card backs are just mailed in.


I got one parallel in my boxes, a Silver card of Lana that is numbered # 36 / 50. I guess the background is kind of gray, but this was a subtle parallel that I might not have caught without the serial number printed on the back. They fall 1:6 boxes. There are five insert sets in the product, all with relatively small checklists. I completed all of them from the boxes I opened. The Stephanie McMahon / Triple H card comes from the Power Couples set, which highlights famous couples from the WWE's history. Nikki Bella and Bayley are from the Historic Women's Champions insert, which features wrestlers who have held the various women's belts over the years.


That Charlotte card in the upper left is from the Revolution set, which follows a series of events from 2015 in which the women's title eventually changed hands. The Bayley / Sasha Banks card is from the Rivalries insert. The cards on the bottom row come from The Best Matches, which highlights some of the more famous matches in the women's divisions, focusing mostly on the last couple of years, but including a couple from previous decades. Some of the inserts have parallels, but I don't think I pulled any of them.


My first hit was this Nikki Bella mat relic card, featuring a bit of mat from SummerSlam 2015. This is the base version, numbered # 086 / 199. These relics are pretty decent as far as design goes, and apparently there are different versions for different events. In addition to this one, Nikki Bella has relics from WrestleMania 28 and Money in the Bank 2015.


My second hit was a 1:15 box Kiss card, featuring the lipstick print of Nia Jax. This is the base version, numbered # 67 / 99. These also have parallels, as well as versions that are autographed over the lip print.

Overall this was a pretty fun break. The guaranteed hits are nice, and you have a chance at some pretty good pulls. The mini-master set (base + inserts) isn't too hard to complete, and the write-ups on the cards are robust. I would probably break some more of this in the future.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on a few decent blasters. I've been looking for his stuff but haven't found any yet. I'd bet the Nia Jax kiss card would at least make back the cost of the two blasters you kept too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty decent product. The Nia Jax card could probably get back the cost of two blasters if it were autographed. The non-auto version tops out at about the price of one blaster.

      Delete
  2. It's awesome that you were able to make a complete base set. I'm a base set collector so knowing that I don't have to get a ton of boxes to do it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy it when a product allows me to get a full set from a box or two. That's one reason I have a hard time buying Topps Heritage. I got so many doubles, triples, quadruples, quintuples, and so on the last time I tried to build that set through busting packs. It wasn't just the SPs that I couldn't find, either. It was regular base cards that I couldn't find, while I was pulling seven or eight copies of other base cards.

      Delete
  3. I picked up a pair of blasters that I was hoping to hold off on posting until Royal Rumble weekend. Guess I'll have to rush things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no need to rush, unless you are waiting to open them until just before you post. Unopened wax doesn't last that long around me.

      Delete
  4. Nice breaks. Came over from buckstorecards post. Nice kiss card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty happy with the break, once I got the blaster full of miscut cards taken care of. I was pretty happy to pull the kiss card, and I thought the mat relic was pretty good, too.

      Delete