27 July 2017

2015 Topps Tribute Jon Singleton Autographs

Last night after class was over, I decided that I was going to try catching a Padres game at Petco Park. The Mets are in town and I wanted to see as many teams as I could while I'm here. The Padres' next series is against the Pirates, and I already have tickets for one of those games on Saturday. The Twins are in town next week, so I'll see if I can make it to the Tuesday night game.


I made it to the ballpark with relative ease. My seat was up pretty high, but the ticket was cheap and the view was pretty nice. The home team won the game 6-3, thanks in large part to Luis Torrens' 3-run triple in the 3rd inning. That hit was soooo close to being a grand slam, but it bounced off the wall just short of going over. I thought the ballpark was pretty nice, although there wasn't a big crowd. You can only expect so much from a Padres game on a weeknight, I guess. There wasn't as much in-game promotional stuff as you'd see at a Reds game, but I was generally entertained.


The Topps Tribute product from 2015 had some issues with streaky autographs. The complaints were so heavy that Topps actually recalled the product, offering to replace cards from the set with other cards. Some cards obviously didn't get sent in to Topps for replacement, so you can still find them in the wild. I picked up a couple of Jon Singleton autographs from the product on eBay a couple of months ago. You can see on this Orange Tribute Autograph parallel that the autograph skips and streaks due to the coating or the type of pen used. This one is numbered # 65 / 75.


The same issues exist on this Green parallel of the card, with flaws in the signature. This one is numbered # 11 / 99. These didn't cost an arm and a leg to pick up, and they still count as unique cards for my player collection, so I was happy to get them. I may have been less happy if I'd pulled them at full retail price, though.

6 comments:

  1. Luis Torrens getting some love on the blogs! Love it!
    Never been to SD... hope you enjoy the weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been nice, especially compared to the heat at home. The humidity has been a little tough for me, but at 70 degrees I am not going to complain about that too much.

      Delete
  2. "That hit was soooo close to being a grand slam, but it bounced off the wall just short of going over."

    Ugh, in Yankee Stadium it would've been in the bullpen. In Citi Field it might've reached the apple.

    Nice additions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the ball really doesn't carry here. Long hits just seem to get sucked down out of the air.

      Delete
  3. great view of the park! great Singletons! Orange jersey on the green background is good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are good-looking cards. It's a shame they had so much trouble with the ink/coating on these.

      Delete