17 August 2017

She-Hulk by Fred Hembeck

Fred Hembeck is an artist with a distinctive cartoon art style. He's got a website, but I am most familiar with his eBay sketch auctions. He's usually got a handful of auctions going for artwork as well as a book of his art. I like his work because it's distinctive and because it is pretty comprehensive. He draws all kinds of characters from movies, comics, books, and television. He draws a lot of characters that you don't see very often, and he also draws versions of characters that don't get a lot of love, like alternate uniforms on superheroes.


I was able to get this She-Hulk sketch from his auctions a while back. I've bid on quite a few of his sketches, but I think this is the first time I actually won. It's done in his signature style, and the back features his certification of authenticity, as well as a self-portrait doodle. I'd like to get more of his work someday for my Princess Leia and Power Girl collections, but for now I am very happy that I was able to add this She-Hulk piece to my art collection.

10 comments:

  1. Now *that* is cool... I'm well familiar with Fred Hembeck for his comic books and strips involving Marvel characters; that's awesome that you've been able to add one of his sketch cards to his collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is pretty prolific with his auctions, so if you have a favorite character they are likely to pop up for sale eventually. I think he also does commissions through his website, but I haven't tried that yet.

      Delete
  2. I remember when Hembeck had a little comic-strip-like feature in the back of various DC comics. My favorite was when a certain character said his favorite Beatles song was the one George songs that goes "Swamp Thing in the way she moves...."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a webage that reprinted many of those DC strips:

      http://www.proudrobot.com/hembeck/jonesandhex.html

      It looks like they stopped working on the project in 2007, though, so it's incomplete. I wonder if all of them are contained in Hembeck's art book?

      Delete
  3. Never seen his work... but I really like it. This She-Hulk is awesome!. It's kinda like a Marvel meets Archie Comics. His comic cover redos on his website are also really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like it when one of my posts turns someone on to a new artist. Hembeck does a lot of cool stuff. I think he'd be a fun guy to meet.

      Delete
  4. Awesome! Gotta get me a Raven for my supercollection by him someday. I've missed out at least twice (that I know of) in the past couple years. Fred Hembeck Destroys the Marvel Universe is one my favorite random one-off comics of all-time. Congrats on landing the Shulkie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to track down some of his comic work. You might try contacting him through his website for a commission. He hasn't updated his price list recently, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

      Delete
  5. I also wanted one of Hembeck's sketches. You've made me break out my old sketch collection from comic conventions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! Have you shared any of it on your blog before? I always love to see new sketches.

      Delete