15 October 2014

What eBay Hath Wrought 119: More Munnatawket Ginter Minis!


Soon after the Nachos Grande blog posted about their existence, the creator of the Munnatawket Allen & Ginter mini set posted a group of the What Could've Been limited insert set on eBay. The set features various sports stars as if they had continued down different career paths, and it is limited to 25 sets overall. I placed bids on all of them, but when the dust settled I had only won one of the auctions, the Russell Wilson card featuring him as a member of the Texas Rangers, the baseball team that drafted him. The other card I really wanted from the set was Vladimir Guerrero, but either the auction went higher than my high price or I got distracted around the time it ended and forgot to check up on it. I am pretty happy with the Russell Wilson card, even though my Denver Broncos haven't yet found a way to crack that Seattle code. This particular example is # 22 / 25. The Munnatawket minis have been pretty quiet on eBay as of late, so I am not sure how many chances there will be to complete even the base set. Card # 0 has been especially elusive. I am still kicking myself for not taking that second chance offer a few months ago when I had the chance.


Then there is the matter of the base set. I am not sure how many cards are in the base set, although I thought I saw the number mentioned in a blog post somewhere (it happens to be the blog post I linked above, and there are 80 total cards in the set). Three additions to my collection were included in the package along with the card I won. I got a Tom Brady, although on this card he is featured in his more recognizable uniform. Also included were Roberto Clemente and Ryan Zimmerman, the other Washington Zimmerman(n).


And here are the backs. I always like getting cards from this set, as Ryan is very generous with the freebies and anticipating what will drop out of the envelope is almost as fun as getting the cards I've won at auction. I don't know that I will ever be able to assemble the full set, but I am going to get as close as I can. I tracked down the cards I do have, and it looks like I've got 15 out of the 80 cards purported to be on the checklist. So I'm nearly a fifth of the way there!

No comments:

Post a Comment