10 March 2015

2014 Panini Prizm R.A. Dickey Golden Leather Red Parallel

Yesterday I posted a red Panini Prizm basketball card numbered out of # / 25, so today I thought I would go with a red Panini Prizm baseball card numbered out of # / 25. It's like a theme week, except that it's only two days and not really that great of a theme.


The card itself is a Red parallel of the 2014 Panini Prizm Golden Leather insert, featuring R.A. Dickey. My copy is # 22 / 25. The set features players who have won awards for their defensive play. I already had the Blue version of this card, which is numbered out of # / 75. I may even have the base version, but I am not sure about that.

I am getting moderately excited for the upcoming baseball season. I'll probably be more excited when I finally talk myself into getting that MLB.tv subscription. Last year they did a half-price sale on Father's Day, but I don't know if I really want to wait until June for that. In other news, I pre-ordered a copy of Out of the Park Baseball 16, the super-deep baseball simulation game that will take over your whole life if you let it. It releases in a couple of weeks, but I will probably have to keep from downloading it until I finish school. The big change to the OOTP game this year is that they got the official MLB license and you won't have to jump through hoops and rely on aftermarket patches to get team logos and whatnot in the game.

And speaking of OOTP, David over at Tribecards is running his annual season-long pack-busting game with an affiliated OOTP league. It probably sounds more complex than it is. Basically, he opens a bunch of packs during the season and people in the game draft the players who appear on the cards. At the end of the season you get the cards of the players you drafted. The players you draft also get placed on your team in the OOTP league, and a season gets played out with these simulated rosters.

Last year my team didn't do very well. R.A. Dickey was one of my early picks and the virtual R.A. Dickey almost immediately went down with a season-ending injury. My pitching staff still wound up being okay, but I couldn't generate much on the offensive side. After picking a bunch of favorite players and dropping like a rock in the standings, I eventually turned to a complex system of setting up my draft list by calculating each available player's real-life WAR/year according to Baseball Reference and sorting them by that statistic for my lists. My team began to improve pretty rapidly after that, but the deficit in the standings was too much to overcome and I missed the playoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment