09 May 2017

Some Chrome and Some Ink

I'm still plugging away at my Jon Singleton player collection, even though he's headed in the wrong direction on the career progression path, toiling away in AA after playing at AAA in 2016 and splitting time between AAA and the MLB in 2015. He's doing pretty well down there in AA, though. His batting average is still in the cellar, but he draws a lot of walks and that gets him on base at a pretty good clip. I just don't see that translating to the MLB level, except maybe on a team that isn't stacked with talent.

I am still holding out on getting an MLB.tv subscription for the year, as they usually make a pretty big cut to the price around Father's Day. Combined with the discount they give to military/students, I am usually out the door for the price of a couple blaster boxes, which is worth it to me for the amount of baseball I usually get to watch during the season.

I've been thinking about getting a subscription to the WNBA streaming service as well. It's not expensive at less than $20 for the season, but I don't know if I will actually use it. I have good intentions, but I didn't wind up using my trial WWE membership more than once or twice during the month I had it, and I think my WWE interest is even higher than my WNBA interest.


The first pickup from this colorful pair was this 2015 Topps Chrome Orange Refractor, numbered # 19 / 25. I like colorful Chrome cards a lot, a fact that Topps uses to separate me from my money on a regular basis. I especially like the brighter colors, like orange, yellow, green, and pink.


This card also hails from 2015, but it comes from 2015 Bowman. It's the Gold parallel of Singleton's Sophomore Standouts autograph card. It's numbered # 31 / 50. The back of the card discusses his ability to draw walks. The signature itself looks pretty good. I don't know how Singleton usually signs, but a lot of his autographs have really thick lines that run together, like he is just mashing the markers into oblivion when he signs the cards/stickers. I tend to have a pretty heavy hand when I write, but no one is paying me to write my name on something.

6 comments:

  1. People made fun of Singleton for singing that super team friendly deal. Now we see why players sign them. Heres to him getting back to the show soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far that deal has been pretty good for him, and not that great for the team. He has potential, and he's still pretty young, but I don't see a spot for him with the Astros unless he really ups his game or a lot of their other 1B/DH-types get injured. He'd have a better chance on a rebuilding team with a depleted roster.

      Delete
  2. A team that isn't stacked with talent? Hmmm... could Singleton's future involve the Athletics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know enough about the business side of baseball to know if other clubs have interest in him or if the Astros want to move him, but I could root for him on the A's.

      Delete
  3. I'm starting to get into Chrome and all the Refractors with my Brandon Laird cards. Did you feel pretty overwhelmed when you first started deciphering the color wheel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be confusing, but for most modern releases the checklists are readily available. The hard part is remembering which ones I have and which ones I don't. Bowman is one of the worst offenders, as there are paper parallels, Chrome parallels, and there are Bowman Chrome cards in the base Bowman product as well as the Bowman Chrome product.

      Delete