02 May 2017

Inktober Sketches and a Pin by Kate Carleton

I got my Star Wars sketch card draft queue whittled down quite a bit, but now I've got a backlog of Comic Book sketches and Japanese wrestling cards built up, along with handfuls of other stuff and a surprisingly large number of baseball card draft posts. I guess having too many things to post about is a good problem to have.

I also have (somewhat) recently received a couple of packages from other bloggers that deserve to be posted about, but the sheer amount of stuff they sent has made it difficult to get the cards on the scanner and ready to post. I will get there eventually, SumoMenkoMan and madding.


Today's post features a package I got from an artist who has been featured a few times on this blog, Kate Carleton. This purchase is split into two parts. The first part is these two sketch cards. There is an art challenge every October called Inktober, where many artists will try to do an ink drawing every day for the month. Carleton was offering her Inktober sketches on her webstore, and any sketch purchased would get colors added to it before shipment.

I ordered a couple of them, a Darwyn Cooke-inspired Wonder Woman, and Rowan Atkinson's man-child character Mr. Bean. I love the art that Darwyn Cooke did, like his DC: The New Frontier mini-series from about a decade ago. He died in 2016 from lung cancer, which is extremely unfortunate. I also love Carleton's take on the concept.

Mr. Bean is also a favorite of mine. I really like all of the television stuff Atkinson did with the character, and I love the Bean movie more than anyone probably should. I've never thought to ask for a sketch of the character, though, so I was glad to see him among the Inktober sketches on offer. I've heard rumors that Mr. Bean might be making a return to the movie screen soon, but I don't want to get too hopeful.

Carleton has closed down the webstore I purchased these from, as she has been busy with conventions and the like, so I am not sure where you can go to look at her inventory at the moment. I linked to her Facebook page a couple of paragraphs ago, and she is pretty responsive there. That's also where she makes announcements about sales and commission opportunities. She's got sketches in the new Star Wars 40th Anniversary set from Topps, as well as the Clerks set coming out from Upper Deck. She's also been involved in a bunch of past releases from Star Wars, Marvel, DC, and small-press stuff, so you can find her work fairly readily on eBay.


The second part of this package is an enamel pin featuring her logo. She offered these up for pre-order, and anyone pre-ordering a pin also got a sketch. I couldn't turn that down, so I ordered one. It's even serially-numbered # 6 / 100. She has this pin as well as a few more designs available in her Etsy shop.


This was the sketch I received with my pin order, which features her avatar in a different pose. I kind of wish I had an avatar of my own that I could use to put my brand on things, but I guess first I would need to actually be creating something of value. Maybe someday.


She also included a business card with some of her social media stuff on it. That Storenvy link is the store where I purchased the sketches from. I am not sure if she will reopen it, or if she will move her sketches to the Etsy shop at some point. I'll likely be watching both sites, as well as her Facebook page.

8 comments:

  1. My daughter loves Mr Bean and her favorite was his Mr Bean's Holiday, I watched that movie well over 50 times with her and I do enjoy his acting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Bean's humor is pretty divisive. It seems like people either really like it or just don't get it. I need to introduce my kids to him.

      Delete
  2. When I lived in Japan, some kids thought I looked like Mr. Bean. It could be worse, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been accused of resembling him, probably more for my mannerisms and body language than my actual appearance. And also back when I had hair long enough to part.

      Delete
  3. Good stuff. She has a fun, lighthearted style that I like a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Her artwork does have a fun feel to it.

      Delete