17 January 2018

Elvira, Mistress of the Dark

Cassandra Peterson's alter ego, Elvira, is a seemingly timeless icon of popular culture, or at least she seems that way to me. The Elvira character debuted in 1981, the same year I was born, so I've never known a world without Elvira in it. Her gimmick is kind of cheesy, but in a way that is self-aware enough to be okay. I'd like to attend a convention some day and meet Cassandra Peterson, but I saw on Twitter or Instagram that she offers signed photos through her website, and I decided to go ahead and order one. I was torn between ordering one of her in her iconic black dress or one of Peterson in non-Elvira garb, but when I saw this patriotic photo of Elvira in a red dress in front of an American flag, I knew that was the one.


You're allowed to ask for a personalized signature, so I requested that she sign it to me in my military capacity as a Sergeant. Technically I am a Staff Sergeant (hopefully soon-to-be a Sergeant First Class), but the beauty of it is that the generic term Sergeant works for all of them. This is a wonderful photo of an ageless beauty, and I am happy to have it in my collection. Thank you, Elvira!

Unpleasant dreams...

13 comments:

  1. Her classic black dress is certainly a winner, but I think you chose the best option here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really happy with how this turned out, and it's not like you can't tell it's Elvira!

      Delete
  2. Very cool about doing the personalizing, that is not often an option. Also good she doesn't charge an arm and a leg just to get her to initial something let alone sign with a personal heading. Many celebs charge for everything now-days, especially at conventions and signing events. I think a lot of that is agents squeezing as much out of the celeb as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that agents have a lot to do with the inflated prices on autographs and appearances. I've heard of many celebrities sneaking cell phone selfies with fans for free, and the agents getting mad at them for not charging the posted 'selfie' rate.

      Delete
  3. Hua! Give that one a highly motivated thumbs up Sgt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a fantastic looking photo! I have been thinking about purchasing an auto from her website for a while now, maybe this post will finally get me to do so :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's worth it. I can be pretty cheap when it comes to celebrity autographs, but I'll make an exception for a personalized autograph from Elvira!

      Delete
  5. She seems to be pretty active on the convention scene, and also has various merchandise and television stuff that she does. I guess last year was her final Knott's Scary Farm live show series, which she's been doing for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet addition to your collection. That personalization is the icing on the cake. I wasn't really an Elvira guy until awhile back when I saw Cassandra Peterson without the makeup. She's gorgeous. Gave me a whole new perspective on the Mistress of Darkness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty happy to get this one. It took me a while to warm up to Elvira, but I'm on board now. Maybe Elvira appreciation is a sign of maturation.

      Delete