22 January 2018

Pack of the Day 182: A Blaster of 2017 Panini Absolute Racing

I'm not feeling particularly inspired by anything in my draft folder today, so I'm going to post this blaster of 2017 Panini Absolute Racing I picked up at some point last year.


There's not much to the blaster, with five cards total in the box. One of them should be an autograph or relic.


Here are the base and parallel cards from the pack. The Derrick Cope card on the right is a Spectrum Silver parallel, numbered # 114 / 299.


I got one insert card as well, a die-cut RPM card of Jimmie Johnson. This is the Spectrum Red parallel, numbered # 077 / 149. Something about his beard in this photo makes me think it's pasted on, like a disguise or something. He may want to do something about that blue Lowe's firesuit, though, if he's trying to go incognito.


The promised hit in the box is this Absolute Memorabilia Signatures card featuring a bit of red fabric and the signature of Michael Annett. The Beckett product page for Absolute Racing says that this base version should be numbered out of # / 100, but I don't see the serial number on it. There are base copies of other drivers on eBay without serial numbers as well, although the Beckett page lists print runs for all of them. Annett currently races in the Xfinity Series, where he finished 9th last year.

The government shutdown ended, but not soon enough for my class to kick off. I had to go in to work without pay today for about half the day while management decided what to do. I hope that I will be able to find another class to attend soon, because this course is all that stands between me and a 10% pay increase. I am pretty irritated with the whole thing. Hopefully we don't have any more shutdowns this year.

6 comments:

  1. I like how that signature is done. A serial numbered sticker that the driver has to partially sign on. Yeah, I am not a fan of the beard on Jimmie Johnson. Speaking of NASCAR, only one more month until the Daytona 500!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually put the sticker on over the autograph. JR Motorsports is the racing team that most commonly uses those stickers, so you'll see a lot of Dale Earnhardt Jr. and older Danica Patrick autographs with those.

      Delete
  2. 5 cards per box? Wow. Didn't think I'd see the day when we'd see 5 card blasters. Hope you find another class, so you can get your raise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They cancelled my course yesterday, and then today they decided to offer it anyway with a late start date. So I spent my day jumping through hoops to get authorization to go, then driving 5 hours to the training site.

      Delete
    2. It is pretty awesome. I am hoping that the compressed schedule doesn't make the course too tedious. I have a lot of incentive to do well, though, and I think I wound up in a good work group (about half of the grade is based on group assignments).

      Delete