14 October 2017

Topps Now Astros Hurricane

Every so often Topps will donate the proceeds from a particular Now card to a charitable cause, which I think is a pretty cool thing to do. I often end up buying the charity cards regardless of who appears on them, but it's even better when the card shows one of my favorite teams or players.


That was the case at the end of August, when Topps put up this card for the Hurricane Harvey relief effort in Houston. I posted about this card when it was available on the site, but I never showed the back of it. Profits from the card went to the American Red Cross, and 799 copies were ordered.


The back of the card shows a sign that told fans how to donate at the stadium, as well as a hashtag to use on social media.

The Astros have gone up 2-0 on the Yankees in the ALCS behind some strong pitching, strong defensive play, and some high-risk base-running. The long ball has figured into the series a little bit, but probably not as much as expected so far, with both games being decided by a 2-1 score. I am excited to see how the series goes now that it's moving to New York for a couple of games. I've been picking up all of the Astros-related Topps Now cards from the playoffs, and that has been a little expensive for me. Still, I hope they get through the Yankees and move on to the World Series. The postseason is a lot more exciting when your team is in it.

6 comments:

  1. Go Astros...I'm cheering for your team!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both games have been nail biters for me... and I'm not even a real fan. I'm just jumping on the Astros bandwagon to support Altuve and Reddick. I can't stand the Yankees... but I've got to admit. They're playing well. Both of these games could have gone either way. I hope Houston can take care of business in NY... but honestly... I'll be happy if they can grab even one there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those games were about as close as they could get. It's going to be interesting to see how the games in New York play out. With games this close, home field advantage might be enough to sway a close one.

      Delete
  3. My in-laws, who haven't watched a game since I took the to the Astrodome to see Fernando Valenzuela pitch, are calling me to find out which channel the games are on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like success to reinvigorate interest in a team. It seems like this group of Astros is fairly active in the community, too, which probably helps.

      Delete