14 January 2024

Highlights from a Box of 2022 Panini Revolution WWE

A while back I ordered a few boxes from Blowout along with my annual Hobby set of Topps baseball cards. One of those boxes was 2022 Panini Revolution WWE, which I believe was the first year that Panini did a Revolution set for the WWE brand. It's a rather shiny and colorful set, kind of like Topps Tek on cardboard instead of acetate. Parallels are distinguished by different patterns in the holofoil. I don't have a solid solution for scanning cards at the moment, and the lighting in my house is bad for photos, so I only took pictures of the two numbered cards in the box. Maybe if I get super motivated while writing this post I will take a few more pictures.


The first parallel is an Angular card of Japanese crossover star Asuka. This variation is /199. The Bret "Hit Man" Hart card is the hit of the break, being a Lava parallel /10. Most of the time Revolution boxes don't guarantee a hit, and I think the big chase is for the various limited parallels, such as Galactic and Lava cards of big stars.


The base design features a speckled motif in the holofoil. Shown here is Meiko Satomura in the basic design and Andre the Giant from the Legends subset. The set has a pretty robust Legends checklist, which I feel is a positive, as much of wrestling fandom is built on nostalgia for the stars of your youth.


Here are a couple more parallels, these of the unnumbered variety. Cactus Jack is a Fractal variation, while Kevin Owens appears on a Groove parallel.


The Liftoff! insert set features the high flyers, like Rey Mysterio, and features a die-cut design that defies you to try putting it into a penny sleeve, a card page, or in a neat stack with conventional rectangular cardboard.


A couple more inserts are Supernova and Vortex, illustrated here by real-life couple Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch. There is one more insert called Shockwave that I didn't take a picture of. Most of the inserts have a selection of parallels available as well, but I didn't pull any of them. With just a handful of inserts per box, it would be quite an undertaking to build a master set of base + inserts, even without considering the parallels.

4 comments:

  1. I picked up a copy of that Asuka card (but it has a different color foil) at a card show last month. Your card looks so much cooler. The background colors goes perfectly with her hair. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to add an Asuka to the collection. You know I'm a fan of Japanese wrestling, and I cheer for the crossover stars who come to the US. I got to see Asuka wrestle live last September when the WWE came to Boise. My wife and kids don't like wrestling as much as I do, but I try to get tickets whenever the WWE comes to town.

      Delete
  2. Most of these look pretty darn good for photos. I don't have anywhere great to take pictures in my house either, so I have to rely on a cheap scanner that has major issues with about half the stuff I try to scan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a light box on Amazon for taking pictures, but I don't really like the one I got. It tends to leave a glare on the cards, and it's just a little too small to hold four cards at a time. I'm thinking about getting a little scanner for my desk, but I haven't gone so far as to research that option.

      Delete