06 January 2024

2019 WWE Undisputed

I've been toying with the idea of resurrecting this blog lately, although I've also been contemplating quitting the card collecting hobby altogether. Thus far I haven't been able to stop collecting, as I like cards too much to give them up for good. This post is just an old draft from 2019, and I don't really remember the particulars about these cards. It's kind of like revisiting your hometown and finding that it isn't very familiar to you anymore.


Which is something I am familiar with, as a couple of years ago I bought the house of my teen years from my dad, which we mostly built together when I was in high school, but it wasn't complete by the time I left home and doesn't really feel like the same house I left. Sometimes I see old girlfriends or other people I recognize at the grocery store, but everyone's older now, and everything has changed. Most of the land on the family farm got sold off, so there are houses now where before there was just pasture.


I assume most of these cards are ones I purchased on eBay back in 2019. There's some good stuff here, but similar to the theme of this post there have been a lot of changes to WWE since 2019. Big E has been on hiatus from wrestling due to a neck injury. Dolph Ziggler wrestled most recently for NJPW after being released from WWE, and Ember Moon works for competitor AEW as Athena currently.


Here's a look at the base card design from 2019 Topps WWE Undisputed. I believe the Orange parallels like the Ember Moon card are #/99, and these cards all feature a selection of wrestlers I have been a fan of at one time or another. Another change related to wrestling cards and collecting is that Panini acquired the license for WWE cards a couple of years ago. There has been some legal wrangling recently, though, with the result being no WWE sets announced for the near future while the legal issues get hammered out.


I think I may have grabbed these two packs of Undisputed from the local card shop at some point during 2019. I also could have purchased them on eBay. It's hard to say nearly 4 years later. Pretty sure I posted some of the pulls on Twitter/X, which is where I've continued to post about cards and collecting over the last few years.


This pack gave me a Cesaro autograph, which is a decent card. I always enjoyed watching him and Sheamus wrestle together in tag team matches. I think he is another guy who switched over to AEW after a release from WWE.


This pack featured a little more hit-wise and with star power. I pulled a 1/1 printing plate of Jinder Mahal, who I enjoy as a wrestler and saw live once. I also pulled an /99 Undertaker parallel, which would probably be a decent seller if I decided to go that route. Wrestling cards, and really most cards, have exploded in recent years after the big Covid boom. That's part of the reason I've contemplated leaving the hobby. It seems that prices have gone up and content has gone down to the point where I can't justify busting packs like I used to. There have been some signs of a retraction recently, though, with clearance blasters showing back up at Walmart.


I'm not sure how I'm going to fill out several more paragraphs about cards that I only vaguely recall details about. These Xavier Woods relic autos are pretty neat. I enjoy the iterations of The New Day and the fun that they bring to the ring. With Big E's injury and Kofi Kingston wrestling outside of The New Day recently, I'm not sure if they're going to stick around as The New Day anymore.




It seems that I was pretty active about picking up singles from this set, as I've got a ton of photos in this post. The Kurt Angle autograph is a particularly good pickup for me, although I like all of these cards. I obviously gravitate to certain wrestlers more than others. I'm out of the blogging habit, so this post hasn't been super great, but it's been nice to type out a few paragraphs and stretch out the old writing muscles. 

6 comments:

  1. We're only a couple of days in to the year, and I feel like seeing a new post from you is the biggest surprise that the blogs will produce this year. I can't remember why anymore, but I was recently thinking about you; wondering how you've been? Hopefully not too bad. I don't want to put any pressure on you, but it sure would be nice to see your return to blogging again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there will be more exciting things from a whole year of blogs than a random appearance by me. I've been looking for ways to get a spark going in my life, and maybe returning to my blog will be the answer to the lack of interest I've been feeling in just about everything lately. Time will tell.

      Delete
  2. Hope to see you back to blogging! Hope you have been well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see if it sticks. So far so good! I still don't have a great solution for scanning cards and processing images. That might be enough friction to keep me out of the game.

      Delete
  3. So happy to see a post from you! Sure hope you stay in the hobby... but even if you do quit collecting... I hope that you'll pop in and say hello from time to time. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment! I've found that I can't give up cards entirely, but I have definitely cut back a lot from where I was a couple of years ago.

      Delete