27 January 2024

An Addition to the Wally Moon Master Set

One project that's received a little energy from me lately is my Wally Moon PSA Master Set, which is basically all of his card appearances from his career, encased in PSA graded holders. I already have his Basic Set, which is just a run of Topps base cards from his career. The Master Set adds other card appearances, team issues, stamps, things like pins and buttons, and food issues.


I am not worrying too much about condition for this collection, as higher grades on vintage cards command more money than I'm willing to shell out for this project. A PSA 5, like this 1962 Topps NL Batting Leaders card, is just fine by me. Especially for a card that features Roberto Clemente. Some of the tougher cards to get in this run are tough because Wally Moon shares them with another player, like Roberto Clemente or Brooks Robinson. I'd imagine those players have more competition than my Wally Moon project does. I currently hold the #1 Wally Moon Master Set in the PSA registry, mostly because no one else is chasing it. According to my checklist, I still need 12/36 items to complete the run, along with 2 items I have that need to be sent in for grading.

4 comments:

  1. Fun project. Had no idea Moon was such a good hitter. Just figured he was famous for his facial hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He hit .289 for his career, and 1961 was his highest single-year average by quite a bit.

      Delete
  2. I had forgotten that you were doing this collection in graded form. That obviously makes things a bit more expensive too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the grading part of it adds some cost, but it's fun for me to chase a (relatively) cheap graded player set.

      Delete