26 January 2024

A Blaster Box of 2022 Upper Deck AEW Allure

I found myself at Walmart this afternoon, and decided to check out the card aisle. There wasn't much there outside of some Prizm football. I guess I could have bought that and chased a C.J. Stroud card like everyone else on social media, but I just can't get into football. They also had some 2023 Topps Series 1 Baseball that was discounted, and some 2022 Upper Deck AEW Allure wrestling cards. Since I hadn't opened Allure before I decided to go with that, even though historically Upper Deck products have been low bang/buck for me.


I knew absolutely nothing about Allure going into this and very little about AEW, so I guess we'll learn as we go along. I recognize two of the three wrestlers on the packaging, MJF and Toni Storm. Apparently the guy in the middle is called Powerhouse Hobbs.


The base cards are kinda Chromey/Prizmy. Interestingly enough, I think the only person in this group that I follow on social media is the referee, Aubrey Edwards. I recognize everyone else, though.


I think the horizontal cards are short-printed slightly. I got one per pack. Bryan Danielson and MJF were the biggest names of the bunch.


One of the common parallels is called "Tables" and features a woodgrain background. I recognize Skye Blue's name, but I couldn't say much beyond that about her. Athena is someone whose cards I collect already, although I know her better as Ember Moon from her time with the WWE.


This Ricky Starks card is a Red Rainbow parallel, which apparently falls 1:12 packs. I don't think I've ever heard of Ricky Starks. The card is pretty shiny, though.


This Jade Cargill Horizontal Black Rainbow parallel is probably the hit of the break, combining a big name with 1:24 pack odds on the parallel. She recently switched from AEW to WWE, and apparently is married to former MLB player Brandon Phillips.


For inserts I got a couple of die-cut cards, including this wavy Title Ambitions card of Jamie Hayter, another name I recognize but don't know a whole lot about. I could regurgitate her Wikipedia page here, but I will not.


The other die-cut insert in the blaster was this My Squad card featuring faction The Firm. They look like a serious bunch of dudes. I don't really follow AEW outside of headlines and the occasional wrestler whose name I recognize, so I can't tell you much about The Firm.


The final card I'll show is yet another appearance by Bryan Danielson, this time on a Color Flow Red-Orange insert. The Red-Orange cards are the most common Color Flow variation, falling 1:8 packs. It's a nice shiny card, and I reckon it's the 2nd-best pull of the break.

So that's 2022 Upper Deck Allure AEW. I pulled more recognizable names than I thought I would, and got a decent parallel and insert card. I don't know that I'd bust another box of this at the $30 price, but it was fun to do it once.

2 comments:

  1. Didn't think I'd know any of these wrestlers... but I definitely recognize Sting and Bryan Danielson (although I remember him as Daniel Bryan).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how many names I recognized from the group.

      Delete