01 August 2015

2014 Topps UFC Bloodlines Group Break


Late last year I joined a  UFC group break to see if I could add anything interesting to my collection. I don't follow MMA very closely, but usually if there is a big fight I hear about it because I follow a lot of sports blogs and news sites. One of the fighters I got in the break was Cat Zingano, the fighter who got beaten in 14 seconds by Ronda Rousey in UFC 184. I don't see much news about her recently outside of commentary leading up to UFC 190. Allison Glock wrote a pretty good ESPN article about Zingano earlier this year. The Zingano card I got in the break was this relic card with a single-colored red swatch of fabric embedded in it.


The back of the card contains the usual message congratulating the card's owner for obtaining the card. If I remember right, this break featured a box or two each of several different products. This relic card came from 2014 Topps UFC Bloodlines. It is numbered # 012 / 208.


This Jessamyn Duke New Guard card is also from 2014 Topps UFC Bloodlines. Duke had a 3-0 record after her first four fights (one loss was overturned due to illegal moves by the other fighter), but has lost her last three fights, including one about a week ago, to fall to 3-3 in her UFC career.


Also included in the package was a pack of 2014 UFC Champions cards. I don't know most of the UFC fighters, but it was essentially a free chance to open a pack of something new.


These were the only two vertically-oriented cards in the pack. Jacare Souza is 22-3 on his career and according to Wikipedia is ranked #2 in the Middleweight division. Ovince Saint Preux is 18-6 and rated #6 in the Light Heavyweight division.


The horizontal cards feature seven more fighters' individual cards and a Fight Nights Highlights card of the UFC 157 match between Ronda Rousey and Liz Carmouche, which was the first women's fight in UFC MMA history.

Ronda Rousey is in the news right now for her fight tonight against Bethe Correia in UFC 190. She defeated Correia in 34 seconds by knockout, which is kind of notable because 9 of her 12 professional wins so far have come by armbar submissions. I don't know if anyone is going to be able to beat her. Everyone who tries gets embarrassed. You can watch the entirety of her last three fights in just over a minute.

I don't see myself really going out of my way to start an MMA collection, but it was fun to dabble in the cards a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment